Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
I have a growth in my sclera!
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

I have a growth in my sclera!

Please help me I have a growth in my sclera that I am worried about. It does not affect my vision but after spending a long time on the computer it becomes red and it itches a lot. Can I have this growth removed, does it have a name, is it a disease. Will it not cause me to have vision problems this growth has been there for the past two years.
Tags: irritable
Related Discussions
answer below
2 Comments
Blank
Most lilkely it is a pinguecula.  They are usually caused from dry eyes and irritation and will become red and more irritated when the eye gets dry.  When sitting and looking at the computer you tend to not blink as often as normal because you are reading.  Put some artificial tears in before starting and about every 15 to 20 minutes while on the computer.  If this does not help you need to see an optometrist or ophthalmologist.
Blank
pingueculae are usually caused by long term uv exposure.

if it is a pinguecula as the other person suggested...then YES it can be surgically removed.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank