Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Irritation in eye after contact wear

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Irritation in eye after contact wear
After removing my contact and sometime after putting on the contact for the first few minutes I feel the discomfort in my eyes.  It felt as though there may be a tiny grain of sand or dirt lodge under my eyelids.  When I try to rub my eyes to possibly remove the object, the irritation became stronger. And when the contact is in, it rubs against the object and the irritation become so discomforting that I must remove the contact promptly. Can you tell me if this irritation is from a possible protein build-up under my eyelids?  If so, how can I get rid of it?  

Thanks.
it could be deposits on the CONTACT LENS, or it could be "bumps" (inflammation, but not "deposits") on the backside of your eyelids (giant papillary conjunctivitis, folliculitis, etc)

this is very common in contact lens wearers, especially in the spring.  there is really no home remedy to fix this problem, if it is inflammation of the backside of the eyelids.  if staying out of the lenses doesnt work or hasnt worked, then you will need prescription anti-inflammatory or antihistamine eyedrops from an eye doctor.
I currently use Acuvue Advanced with Hydraclear.  I have been using this brand since June of last year.  Sometime I noticed the irritation occurs right after I put them on; even if it is a brand new pack.  I usually let the contacts soak overnight after usage.  And if I feel the irritation after I put it on, I take it out and rub it with the cleaning solution. Even so, I still feel the irritation after I attempt to wear it again.  These lenses are the 2 weeks disposable.  The thing is, even if I take the lenses out after the irritation occurs, I still feel the particle under my eyelids.  The irritation will last for 20-30 minutes and then go away.
you need an exam.  tell the eye doc all these problems.  someone needs to look.

acuvue advance is notorious for LIPID deposits.  you could also have LIPID deposits on the lens
What kind of lens do you have?  How long have you been wearing them?  Are you sure they are clean, do you rub them to clean or merely soak them?
Lastly, if they are soft lenses, are you sure they are not inside out sometimes? (Very hard to tell at times,and they will irritate you just like that if they are inside out.)