Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Jumping vision in left eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Jumping vision in left eye

Yesterday my vision in my left eye started "jumping," for lack of a better term.  It's not constant, but it usually happens every hour or so when looking downward.  This has happened in the past (I believe about 2 years ago), and went away within a week or so.

I did some research on the 'net, and found nystagmus to be a cause of "jumping vision," but in most everything I've seen, it says nystagmus causes the eyeball itself to move.  My eyeball does not move; only my vision is affected.

I had an eye exam about six months ago and everything was fine.  I don't wear glasses.

Also, I've had a very mild viral infection (or possibly allergies) over the past two days.  Don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not. My eyeball also appears to be a bit irritated.  Should I make another appointment to see an eye doctor?

Thanks.
"jumping" caused by acquired nystagmus ("oscillopsia") would be an extremely rare neurological problem.  and you're right--you would see your own eye moving in the mirror.  i seriously doubt that is what you are experiencing.

yes, you should make an appointment.  yes, it is possible that swelling (extraocular musculature swelling?) or muscle restriction from could be a cause of your symptoms, but that, too would be a little rare.  a little more likely IMO to be a vertical phoria or something benign.  but no one will know w/o an eye exam.
Forgot to mention . . .

I am a 27 year old male in excellent physical shape.  No other known health problems.
Doctor,

I saw an eye doctor this afternoon per your advice.  He did an exam, which included retinal imaging and found nothing out of the ordinary (said everything looked good).  He said he is positive my condition is from eye strain, as I spend quite a bit of time on the computer working.

Thank you for your help.