Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Length of time to NOT wear contacts before exam for possible IOL surge...

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Length of time to NOT wear contacts before exam for possible IOL surgery

I found the name of a supposedly very experienced IOL surgeon in Dallas and when I made the appointment nothing was said about leaving my contacts out before my appointment.  When I asked about it, I was told that I would receive something in the mail a week before the appointment, but that he often does exams like this with peopel who have not worn their contacts for only several days.   From what I've read on this board...one week to 2 weeks seems to be the most common length of time.  I'm concerned now that this surgeon isn't all that he's cracked up to be.  Anyone have any comments about whether several days would be enough for an exam like this?  Any names of opthamologists in Dallas would be greatly appreciated.
well if you wear soft lenses, 2 weeks is probably fine.  if you wear "gas permeable" lenses or "hard" lenses, 2 weeks is not enough.  you need more like a month.  some even recommend 6 weeks.
Three weeks out of toric soft lenses is probably best.  And my prescription was still changing several months after I had switched from gas perm to toric lenses.
Depends on the surgeon, I guess. I had worn soft contacts for more than 30 years before having cataract surgery. My surgeon didn't tell me not to wear contacts before the exam. When I asked about it, he told me that he could measure the axial length accurately. It turned out that his measurement was right on the money.

The thing is that you need to trust your surgeon. I was lucky to find a surgeon I could trust. If you have doubts about your surgeon, the road ahead of you will be rough.
I went to a second opinion regarding the rezoomrestorecrystal dilemma...One nurse nearly sent me home after a long trip since I was wearing gas perms..They kept confusing me with wanting Lasik...I was told by two surgeons that for iols..contacts ok....
One surgeon I consulted did IOL Master measurements after I had been out of my soft toric lenses for only 3 days (per his instructions).  I did not have surgery with this doctor for reasons unrelated to the measurements, but I kept a copy of my IOL Master printout.  My eye measurements were repeated by another surgeon both manually and on an IOL Master after I had been out of my contacts for over two weeks.  There was a  significant difference between the two sets of measurements in terms of the keratometry (cornea), which changed the predicted power of the IOL I needed from a 15 to a 14 in one eye.  (The measurements for the length of each eye was the same in both printouts.)  I ended up with 20/20 distance vision in both eyes post-surgery by the second surgeon.  (Both surgeons have reputations as being among the best in my metropolitan area.)
If you ar wearing hard contacts then I would suggest 3 months, Soft Contacts at least 2 weeeks.  You want the best corneal readings possible for lens calculations.