Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Long term use of Doxycycline
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Long term use of Doxycycline

Hello, I just wanted to know if long term use of antibiotics create bacterial resistance? For example, if you are using Doxycycline long term to treat Meibomitis or Rosacea. Also, I've read somewhere that using Doxycycline increases one's risk of developing breast cancer. Was this scientifically proven? Thanks so much.
Related Discussions
yes, long term use of any antibiotic can and does cause bacterial resistance.  that is a fact.  sometimes unavoidable, however like in cases of rosacea.

i have also heard that doxy increases the chance of breast cancer.  but i dont specifically know if studies have shown that or what.
3 Comments
Blank
I guess all I can do is hope for the best.
Blank
Your concern about long term antibiotics is valid, however, there is now a low dose Doxycycline called Periostat that, at 40 mg per day (taken 20 mg twice daily) is a subantimicrobial dose but you still get the anti-inflammatory benefit.  So, no worries about resistance.  I am a dermatologist, and use this frequently in my acne and rosacea patients.  I also use it myself for dry eyes.
Blank
Hi Kathel,

Thank you for the information. I visited the eye doctor not long after I first posted and I do not have any of the diseases mentioned above. However, I was diagnoised with Allergies Eyes and Dry Eyes. From a scale of 1-10, how bad is your Dry Eyes and how much as Periosta helped you?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank