Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Losing sight in right eye. How could this have happened?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Good morning. Back in December I woke up with blurry vision in my right eye and was diagnosed with retinal vein occlusion. I was given a steroid shot in the eye and over the course of 3 months the occlusion had cleared up. I thought I had dodged a serious situation.

Over time my eye pressure started to go up (has been as high as 39) so I was put on drops (xalatan, alphagan, cosopt). I am now being referred to a glaucoma specialist and am quite scared to be honest. No vision problems run in my family so I am at a loss as to how this could have happened. After a battery of blood test no underlying cause was ever found. I consider myself a healthy, in shape 43 year old male.

I guess my question for now is what does the future hold for my sight? I'm sure that's hard to answer as we're all different but I have gotten quite depressed over this and worry what will happen to my left eye which is currently 20/20 with everything normal.

I'm sure the glaucoma specialist will explain other options to me, but is there any hope in being able to see clearly out of my right eye ever again? Perhaps with corrective lenses? I'm having trouble doing my job which is another concern.

The last visual field test I had came out ok. Things are just blurry out of my right eye. It's not the typical glaucoma symptoms I've read about where you lose peripheral vision first and so on. I'm also having some eye pain although the pressure is under control at the moment (with diamox) and someone suggested to be checked out for a possible tumor behind the eye. Is that possible?
impossible the guess what is in store for your sight.

no one knows whether you will ever see clearly out of your right eye again.  sometimes vein occlusions cause permanent vision loss (but sometimes they dont)

unlikely that you have a tumor behind your eye.
1 Comment
The pressure is holding steady with diamox but I wake up with cloudy vision. It lasts a few minutes and then it starts to subside. I also seem to "feel" the eye or the blurred vision when I walk into building as opposed to being outside. Do you know what could be causing these things? I see a glaucoma specialist on Friday so hopefully more tests will be done and I can evaluate my options.

Thank you
corneal edema???

dont know