Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Mono vs Multifocal Cataract

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Mono vs Multifocal Cataract

Have cataract in one eye, moderate vision with astigmatism other eye.  Optometrist suggests monofocal lens, Opthamologist pushing ReZoom lens.
Concerned about halos and glare.  Wearing glasses is not as issue. I read a lot, work involves computer, commuter driving.
If get monofocal or multifocal lens, what if other eye eventually gets a cataract.
multifocals almost never work when only ONE is implanted.  thats my take.  IMO most people who are not having surgery done immediately in BOTH EYES probably need a monofocal.
It's funny, that you say that. Because that's exactly what my optometrist/ophthalmologist were saying except the ophthalmologist was pushing the Restor. The optometrists reasoning was: "You'll wind up having to wear glasses anyway because of your astigmatism. I have to fit glasses to people post cataract surgery regardless of multi- or monofocal all the time." However, things are obviously a bit different in your case with a cataract in one eye only.
Same thing my Optometrist said - I will have to wear glasses anyway.  
Opthamologist said to get ReZoom since other eye will most likely also develop a cataract.  
I need to choose a lens as well, have been reseaching on the web, finding studies that confirm what some have said on these forums about night time driving vision being difficult with multifocal lens, my Uncle has restor, was done 1 year ago, says daytime vision is great, for distance and reading, intermiate not so good, night driving, says he has been wearing sunglasses, because of GLARE from the lights, the more lights there are, the more GLARE.
My Mother has standard lens which have been used years, was done 3 years ago, they are set for just distance, says very little glare at night, everything from arms lenght out is very clear vision, needs glasses to read a news paper size print, but, can read some without glasses.
Myself, I need Distance, Night Driving, and Intermidiate distance.
I will choose a single focal lens, both set for distance, with one set slightly stronger to hopfully clear up the intermiate vision, and using reading glasses will be a small trade off , to be able to drive a night.( I had mono when I had Lasik done,  set for distance and reading, there was always a strong pull from one of the eyes, looking at a distance , right pulled,  reading the left eye pulled, did not like that constant pulling feeling, went back,adjusted right for distance, pulling was gone.  following is some info from different sources that I copied and pasted in word pad, trying to gather as much info as possible in one place,  lens I have been looking at

( Tecnis, B&L AO, Acrysof IQ )

These are a new generation of lens implants, which are wavefront-adjusted to your eye.  They generally give sharper, crisper vision and usually better night vision
Patients who have the most to gain from aspheric lenses are those who have undergone myopic refractive surgery, according to Asim Piracha, MD, who is in private practice at the John Kenyon Eye Center with offices in Jefferson, Ind., and Louisville, Ky.
I am having cataracts repaired in both eyes, one month apart.

My doctor recommends ReSTOR lenses if I go with multifocal, but reading some of the accounts at the medhelp forum at http://www.medhelp.org/forums/EyeCare/messages/353.html gives me concern.  Have the lenses improved in the last year or so?

If I go with monofocal distant, what is the depth of field like?  I know I will not be able to thread needles, but will I be able to work at a computer without glasses?  (I spend a lot of time reading and working at a laptop computer). I have used glasses since I was a child, so am used to them.
I am still researching for a lens, but, from what I have read in these forums and some studies I found on the Internet, it seems to me the multifocal lens has quite as ways to go before being a give it all back lens.
The aspheric IOL are new as well, have not found much about them, from people who have them, I have read some studies on the Internet about them, studies claim they give more contrast sensitivity, a quote " What we found was nothing short of amazing. This study showed that the Tecnis lens improved contrast perception by 38.5 percent during the day and by 100 percent at night"  Night driving is important to me, will do what I can not to give it up,
I know I will go with a standard lens or an aspheric IOL, DO NOT KNOW WHICH YET, want to try to keep the intermediate distance for work and computer, hopefully making one lens a little stronger will do this, and not give me the pulling feeling the mono vision gave me when I had Lasik done. GLASSES for reading, or progressive lens for reading and computer, whats the big sacrifice with that ? almost everyone over 50 years old has them, THERE IS NO GIVE IT ALL BACK LENS YET !
IF you find a give it all back lens, please let me know, I want one to !
A related discussion, monfit  vs. distance lens for quilting was started.