Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Myopic degen

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Myopic degen

Hi I posted a few days ago about lattice degenerationa and distortions

Well I actually went to hospital today into eye casualty and told them of the distortions I described to you a couple of days ago.  I had a dilated fundus exam and they put some dye in my blood and photographed my retinas too to look for leakage,

It appears I have extensive myopic degeneration as would be expected in someone with -14 Rx.  The best news of all is that there is no leakage.

The doctor told me I currently have nothing at all that he could treat, and nothing showing up that would cause a concern other than I have myopic degen,

I'm still not able to decide if this is good news since he told me to monitor my site and distortions and avoid contact sports.

Since you have been so kind ot me on this board i wondered if you could comment on any of this,   sorry to post again and take up more of your time

thank you
Avatar n tn
i would love to comment, except that there is really nothign to comment on.  no surprise that you have "myopic degen" if you are -14.  nothing really you or anyone can do to "prevent" future retinal problems except get regular eye exams with dilation (dont "refuse" dilation) and watch for flashes/flaoters/vision loss.  central distortions like "wavy" lines on an amsler grid are not all that significant in your case IMO
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
well thanks for all your help on this, it is greatly appreciated you and the people who have seen me about this, doctors nurses are worth your weight in gold, easily :)