Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Need secondary IOL implant after injury....Advice?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Back in Feb 2006 I had a serious eye injury. I ended up having my retina lasered in two places, vitrectomy, cornea sutured, lens removed, and most of the lens capsule destroyed.

The good news, no damage to macula or optic nerve. Vision 20/20 when looking through the doc's gadget.

So, I am in need of a secondary lens implant. I have been to 2 doctors here in the northeast ( I am in Vermont). Both gave me different ideas as to how they would proceed.

As I don't have much of the capsule left, the first said he could not use an accomodating lens. He would use a mono-focul lens implanted behind the iris and sutured to the iris. He suggested that as I am very active, placement behind the iris would be preferred.

Second said that 10 years ago she would have suggested the same, but with recent problems involving suture degradation after several years she would now recommend lens in front of iris. She also said that the results were better when placed in front of the iris. Additionally, she told me not to feel bad about not being a candidate for accomodating lenses as they were having a lot of problems with them. Her take was that they were really still in the "experimental" stage.

Obviously I am getting 2 completely different suggestions.

So.....My questions;

Where should I go for this surgery? I am not against travel anywhere in the country, though follow-up care would seem impractical if located too far away. Any specific doc recommendations?

What questions should I be asking to make sure I am in the best hands possible?

Other thoughts?
Thx!
difficult questions to answer.  a lot of this depends on opinions.  doc's opinion of what you need...other patient's and other doctor's opinion of where you should go or who does the best job...

none of these questions are really answerable here.  what type of implant you need and where it should be placed...i am not a surgeon and i have not seen your eye.  and even the docs who have seen your eye apparently disagree on whats best for you.

i dont know what to tell you.  you're going to have to find a doc who you think you trust and go with what they tell you to do.  good luck.
Since you're in Vermont, why don't you go see specialists in New York (Manhattan Eye Ear Throat Hospital, New York Eye & Ear Infirmary) or Boston (Mass Eye Ear Infirmary)? They routinely do highly complex IOL implantation. Even if you don't want to have surgery there, you can get opinions from some of the best surgeons in the world.
Thank you for your suggestions. I have contacted Mass Eye and Ear and am waiting for a call back. I have also received a recommendation for Cincinatti Eye.
Any other comments/suggestions welcomed!

Cheers,
T