Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Need your suggestions for eye surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Need your suggestions for eye surgery

I am 25years old and since my childhood i am wearing glasses or contact lenses. I have very high myopia -17 right with cyl -2.5 and -16 left with cyl -2.5. To make it even worse i am a professional software engineer and i work before computer for almost 9-10hrs daily.

Now i am seriously considering for a eye surgery to get rid of contact lenses. I am healthy and donot have any diseases. So can u plz give your suggestions

and also one more thing.. Can u suggest a good eye doctor or clinic in Memphis so that i can get my eye examination. I think my power must have increased becoz when i went for my drivers license test i failed becoz of the eye test. I couldn't read the letters.

ur help is highly appreciated and valuable to us

failing the drivers vision test at the DMV does not mean that your power increased.  it could mean a bunch of things, but you cant assume that it means increased myopia.  what it really means is that you need another eye exam.

you are not a very good candidate for any 'eye surgery to get rid of contact lenses'.  you cannot have LASIK or LASEK or PRK or RK b/c you are too nearsighted for any of that.  you probably cannot have 'implantable contact lenses' (phakic iols) b/c of your astigmatism.  you might could have toric clear lens replacement, but you'd need reading glasses and would not be able to 'focus' for near work anymore w/o help from glasses.

you're just not a great candidate for any of that.  your best best is probably contact lenses, which you are already doing.  i mean i'm not telling you 'no', but i am telling you this wont be easy, and you're not a great candidate for any of those, and its likely that none of those will get you 'out of' glasses and contacts, which is what sounds like your goal.