Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Nighttime pain, pressure, cramping of eye
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Nighttime pain, pressure, cramping of eye

For about three weeks I have been having a weird eye problem.  My left eye seems to cramp or clamp closed for a few seconds then releases and I am able to open it.  At first I thought I was dreaming because it wakes me up from sleep.  It only happens when I am sleeping.  It will happen 2 - 3 times a night.  The next morning my eye will be a little "crusty" and sore.  Sometimes it feels like I need to push on my eye to releive the "pain" or pressure.  If the episodes have happened several times my eye will water really bad the next day.  Sometimes in the morning it will feel like someone is sticking something in the corner of my eye.  I have tried allergy eye drops - some relief.  If I take a tylenol before bed that seems to help. I have been testing out a no caffeine after dinner theory too. Not really sure if that helps or not.  I'm leaning toward stress and lack of sleep being a cause also.  My four yr. old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in Oct.  I am up at least a couple times a night checking her.  Couldn't get into my eye doctor when I was having a bad fallout morning.  Will call to schedule an appt. on Monday.   Any thoughts?
Related Discussions
'having a bad fallout morning' ?  i'm sorry, you lost me here.  i dont know what that is.

i guess i am confused.  you are saying that while you are sleeping (and consequently have your eyes closed) that your left eye 'clamps closed?'  that doesnt make any sense to me.  sorry.  i am trying to wrap my brain around what you are describing, but i cant.  could you please try and word it some other way?

0 Comments
Blank
"bad fallout" meant the results from the eye cramping when it occurs several times during the night.  The next morning my eye feels scratchy, waters, pain in the corner of my eye, feel like I need to push on it to get some relief.  Sorry you didn't follow language.  By cramping I mean:  I have been sleeping, as I start to wake up, as I'm stretching, yawning etc.- before I can open my eyes or try to open my eyes - (the left one especially) cramps an I can't open it immediately.  I first thought I was dreaming, but I have put my fingers on my eyelid as it was cramping and could feel it happening.  The best I can describe it:  close your eyes - now squint them closed tightly.  It only lasts for a few seconds.  I have been sleeping on an electric heated mattress pad since Xmas.  A friend suggested that it might be drying my eyes out??  I also just bought new glasses and another friend suggested the wrong prescription, but I think I would notice that during the day-I wear them 24/7.  The "cramping" never happens during the day.
Blank
hey , that is so wierd i have the exact same pain pressue and cramping @ night. i also feel its a lack of sleep i have 2 babies? i have an appt @ my eye doctor on fri. did u go yet to your dr?
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979