Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Non-stop light sensitivity, redness of eyes and watering

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

For a year now, I have been battling constant eye issues.  I've seen my O.D. several times been referred to two cornea specialist and my family doctor is stumped.  In December of 2005, I was taken to immediate care b/c my eyes were so red and painful, light sensitive - only cold felt good on them (air, water, etc...).  I was diagnosed with conjunctivitis in both eyes and given eye drops.  The bacteria went away and for awhile I felt better.  I put a new pair of contacts in and my redness/pain returned.  I have not worn contacts for a very long time now, just my glasses.  Anyhow, I began antibiotic drops, steroid drops, Restasis, etc...  I was first diagnosed with Optical Rosacia.  Cornea issues did not go away with antibiotic and animals made the inflammation worse so I started Prednisone for awhile.  That helped but it is not a long term thing.  I did start Allegra along with rewetting drops and that seemed to help but the light sensitivity wouldn't subside.  I would like to start the Restasis again; however, the road block I am facing now is that I am 3 months pregnant and therefore we can no longer aggressively attack this thing!  Not sure if I have chronic dry eye b/c my eyes were so inflammed that the Restatis seemed to make it worse.  So we stopped some time ago...for now.  I've also been to an allergist and nothing showed there.  I will say that I have had some drying issues in my home and I am starting a humidifier in my room.  Anything I put on my face seems to irritate my eyes and if I don't get enough sleep, the light sensitivity is even more unbearable.
dont know.  this is a very specific and unique problem.  you need more testing and a second (or 3rd) opinion.  go to another corneal specialist...
I know exactly how your problem is bunny. Well i dont need to wear glasses or contacts but you said that your eyes are sensitive all the time and redness comes with that right? so im guessing it usually doesnt matter how long you sleep for because the redness gets worse through the day anyway? or sometimes never leaves you at all? thats what i have plus i have a dog but im not allergic to him because i didnt had the problem when the dog was like 4 but i am allergc to cats but anyway ive had this for two years now and its getting much worse. Ive gone to many appointments at my local and have had all the over the counter and some prescription only eye drops such as prednisolone just like you. And only prednisolone has worked perfectly but like you said it just doesnt work for long enough because it has to stop. :( i just want it to stop before it ends up ruining my life ya no .
I would awake with one or both eyes very red; sometimes solid red as though they were painted red! they itched and burned and got worse during the day . I also had other symptoms like fatigue, irritable,memory problems, constipation and several others.  DO you have other   " unrelated " symptoms? If so,or even if you have only eye symptoms, you may have candidiasis.  Many people have this and do not know it. Doctors usually do not recognize this problem and some do not believe in it. More and more doctors are open minded and treating patients for candidiasis because, as one prominent older doctor in a affluent chicago suburb told me, too many patients came to him describing the exact same set of symptoms after they took antibiotics or birth control pills. some will get symptoms after a short term of taking these medicines,others can get more numerous and severe symptoms if they use antibiotics and or birth control pills. I took antib. for a very long time for teenage acne and am now 51 and still suffer from candidiasis. I went to the mayo clinic and they said that they believe I had candidiasis but that I got rid of it mostly and now suffer from post illness stress disorder, even though my symptoms had not changed at all. several other doctors had told me they do not believe candida exists even though the mayo clinic said that it does and that most sufferers end up at their clinic because other help is scarce.Doctors are taught it does not exist because the powerful drug companies have influence over what is taught to doctors so they will not be held responsible for their medicines harming people and now they can sell many more drugs to alleviate all of the individual symptoms of candida. IT is a perfect crime for them; their medicines create many side effects that can be treated by another medicine and no one realizes that most or all of your symptoms are related to candida and only one treatment plan should be used, and severe candidiasis was described by a physician on tv as the most complex and difficult to treat illness that there is! The pharmaceutical companies are rich and powerful and will do anmything to protect their wealth including hiding information and withholding what should be taught to doctors.They have no choice in their eyes; which ceo would sacrifice his wealth and reputation and accept resposibility for damaging millions of peoples lives if they could suppress the truth and save their wonderful life  and reputation and piece of mind?hOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE HEARD OF HIDDEN FACTS COMING OUT ABOUT PRODUCTS THAT WERE HARMING/KILLING PEOPLE BUT COMPANIES DID NOT HAVE THE COURAGE TO ADMIT THE TRUTH BECAUSE OF THE FEAR OF LAWSUITS. I do not care about money, just want tobe healthy again...mark