Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Occular Histoplasmosis

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Occular Histoplasmosis

I was diagnosed with Occular Histoplasmosis in my right eye last summer.  I have had several types of treatments including steroid injections, heat laser and PDT laser, and experimental drug injections.  I have to say that the blind spot isn't as dark as it was prior to these treatments, and I can actually see a little out of the center of the blind spot as long as at what I am looking is surrounded by brightness (ie: white computer screen). I do see my doctor on a monthly basis to monitor my vision.  
I was just wondering if anyone else in this forum has this disease and would like to share their thoughts and treatments they have received.
Thank you.
i havent seen anyone post here with that diagnosis.  pretty rare.  i have only seen 1-2 of these patients over my entire career...

but maybe someone's lurking...
There is a forum called Hist Groupies Journal, maybe you already know this
http://home.golden.net/~blink/cgi-ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true
Try the "General" section. You can read the messages in any section without registering.  You have to register in order to post a message.  I hope this helps you.  Good Luck
My mistake, it is Histo Groupies Journal.
What are the experimental injections that you have had -- Avastin?  If so, there is a lot of discussion on that board about Avastin which seems to have helped many people posting there.  I hope you're having success with your treatment too.  
Thanks for the comments.  Avastin is the experimetal drug being used on me along with a steroid injection.  I will try the Histo site you mentioned.
I was diagnosed with POH about nine years old. That was about 11 years ago.
i have recently started looking for treatment options or "cures"
i browsed another forum and saw that laser treatments were good only for temporary relief and actually ended up making the condition worse.
I am about to browse the Histo Groupie Journal forum, but wanted to know what treatments  are more likely to be successful.
Has anyone here actually had there vision completely fixed? and if so what treatments were used?
A related discussion, ocular histoplasmosis was started.