Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
One eye always blurry in the morning.

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

One eye always blurry in the morning.

First, thank you for providing this service.  It really means a lot.

I'm a 41 year old female, so maybe some of these things are a normal part of aging, but it seems like over the last two months all heck has broke loose with my right eye.  First it started with a cyst on the white part of my eye that came and went with no other symptoms.  A few months prior to the appearance of the cyst, I noticed that the vision in that eye was a little more blurry than it used to be, which was odd because my right eye was always stronger than my left up until then.  I've had two eye exams and all was ok vision wise.  The the blurriness was correctible with reading glasses.  The cyst I was told was related to allergies.  Might worth mentioning that I had allergy testing 4 years ago, but none were found.  Since I was paying more attention to my eyes now, I noticed they were extremely dry and got punctal plugs in the upper tear ducts only.  Since the insertion of the plugs I've noticed that anytime I wake up during the night, and when I wake up in the mornings my right eye is extremely blurry.  It clears up after a couple of minutes of rubbing and blinking.

First Question, could the blurriness be related to the insertion of the plugs as this started shortly afterwards, or could it be something else?

Prior to the cyst and plugs, I had on a few occasions over the last 6 months, woke up to a deep aching pain in my right eye.  This would only occur if I were laying on that side.  The pain wakes me up but goes away a few minutes after I turn over.  It kind of feels like a deep sinus headache if that's a fair comparison.  Which brings me to my second question, what could cause this type of pain?  

Thank you in advance for your response.  
'First it started with a cyst on the white part of my eye that came and went with no other symptoms. A few months prior to the appearance of the cyst, I noticed that the vision in that eye was a little more blurry than it used to be,'

the 'cyst' and the vision complaints of 'blurry' are probably not related in any way.  the 'cyst' was probably allergy related.

'Might worth mentioning that I had allergy testing 4 years ago, but none were found.'

that doesnt mean anything.  not to me, anyway.  you could (and probably do) still have seasonal allergies, regardless of what the allergist found.  its my experience that most alergists will not 'announce' that you are 'allergic' to anything until/unless you show an OBVIOUS positive test for it.

'I noticed they were extremely dry and got punctal plugs in the upper tear ducts only'

thats weird.  everyone knows (or i thought they did) that plugging the LOWER ones does the most good.  again this is my opinion and in my experience, but plugging the UPPER ones usually has little or no effect.

'First Question, could the blurriness be related to the insertion of the plugs as this started shortly afterwards, or could it be something else?'

i dont know what it is, but i personally doubt its plug related.

'Which brings me to my second question, what could cause this type of pain?'

all kinds of stuff.  migraines, blood flow problems, high blood pressure, need for spec rx (asthenopia), sinus problems, allergies, temporal arteritis, etc etc etc ad nauseum.  you need to mention this to your doctor and have him/her work you up for it.

Could the blurriness in the morning be caused by corneal swelling (as in Fuch's) or would swelling not go away as easily as rubbing and blinking for a minute or two?

Yes I thought the plugs in the uppers was strange too after thinking about it.  Since I spend at least 16 hrs a day in a vertical position, it would seem that the tears would likely drain from the bottom tear ducts.  I didn't think at the time to question the dr.  Guess I should have.