Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Optic disc drusen

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Optic disc drusen

My opthalmologist said that I have optic disk drusen on both eyes, slightly worse on the right one.  I took a vision field test to check for peripheral vision problems and I do have problems with peripheral vision.  I am being sent to a specialist.  I am very concerned that this will cause blindness.  The doctor said there could be a tumor, but it's very rare.  Can you explain to me what optic disc drusen are, the risk of tumors and if this could cause blindness?  I am concerned because she is sending me to a specialist so I'm thinking it must be bad. I'm 34 years old, female, in good health.  Thanks!
it is probably not a tumor.  optic disc drusen are hard to explain:

http://www.revoptom.com/HANDBOOK/SECT50a.HTM

it never causes "blindness", so you can stop worrying about that.  it deos usually cause some peripheral vision loss, but usually not much.  i doubt this will change your life much.

the reason you are being referred to a specialist is to rule out PAPILLEDEMA (swelling of the optic nerve).  that would be a bigger deal, and could mean you had a tumor or mass.
A related discussion, OPTIC DISK DRUSEN was started.