Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Optic nerve looks like Glaucoma

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Optic nerve looks like Glaucoma

I am on a regular checkup for Glaucoma in my left eye. My optic nerve and cup says I have it but tests say I do not. I have been having these sharp pains in my eye and feeling of preasure. The eye surgeon says that glaucoma does not produce pain. I also can not read for a while and then focus on things when I look up or try to use a phone. Everything is blured. It takes a while for me to see things clearly. This pain has woke me up in the middle of the night. I have been told that I have a cist on my left sinus, but the sinus doctor says that is not what is causing the pain, that the pain is a migrane (migraine).
What do you think?

Marie
glaucoma does not produce pain.  i agree with your surgeon.  glaucoma does not 'feel' like anything.  no pain, no pressure, no feeling of any kind.  whatever pain or pressure feeling you have is from something else, not from glaucoma.  this gets into a lengthy physiology lecture that i prefer not to delve into, but trust me and your surgeon...glaucoma does not cause any kind of 'feeling'...ever.  so i dont know whats causing your pain, but its not glaucoma.

there is a rare type of glaucoma that does cause pain...'angle closure glaucoma'.    you dont have this.  a surgeon would never miss that.  no eye doc would ever miss that.  your pain is not from glaucoma.

your blurry vision is not from glaucoma, either.  but rather more likely from a refractive issue.  you may need glasses.

glaucoma is for the most part a symptomless disease.  it does not cause pain, pressure, blur...none of that.  nothing.  by the time a patient is 'symptomatic' from glaucoma it is way, way too late.  you have multiple vision issues that need investigation...

I wear glasses now, I have since I was in the 5th grade I am 50 now. My vision is very poor, I can not see things clear more than 2 ft from my face.
you may need a second opinion and/or new glasses.  and maybe another glaucoma evaluation.  

but your pain and pressure feeling are not from glaucoma.
Hello I believe the pain does have to do with Glaucoma partially, and yes of course there's a feeling of pressure in the eye, It comes from the build up of certain fluids around the optic nerve which actually damages It, and this can cause some pain of course, if not taken care with any kind of glaucoma  medication or treatment, DO NOT listen to individuals who say there are no symptoms for Glaucoma, there's pressure and pain if not treated, although in your case It seems to be a combination of other factors if you have glaucoma that 's obviously part of the cause of pain, I suggest an x ray exam and seeing an ofthalmologist again as soon as possible.    
Open angle glaucoma have not any symptoms in early stage. Visit neurologist for resolve your problem/
Best regards