Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Pain behind right eye triggered by eye movement. Post FESS (Functional ...

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Pain behind right eye triggered by eye movement. Post FESS (Functional Endoscopic sinus surgery)

I am a 32 yr old male who had bilateral FESS in Oct 2006. I suffer from chronic sinusitis and allergies. (Fullness in ears and nasal congestion constant)The pain began two months after FESS, my ENT surgeon and ophthalmologist suggest that it may be residual tissue swelling from the surgery and should subside in ensuing months. My CT scan produced no evidence of anatomical abnormalities and a topographic scan of my optic nerve showed slight thickening (likely congenital). Advil 800mg seems to have no affect in alleviating the pain. The pain is exacerbated when nasal congestion is severe but is intermittent triggered by eye movement. The ophthalmologist found no muscular or intra orbital problems, both pressure and integrity where unremarkable. I have experienced no changes in vision. I am truly at loss of what could be the cause and what to do to help with the discomfort. Could it be that the tissue could be aggravated from the surgery even after all this time? Any input would truly be appreciated.
Thank You
James    
i am at a loss as well.  no way for me to know whats going on here in this case...sorry
Hi did the pain in behind your eye ever settle down - 3 weeks after my op an I'm experiencing the same eye movement pain - at the start of the tests - here's hoping it settled down