Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Post-DCR surgery complications

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Post-DCR surgery complications

I had the DCR procedure done for eye tearing on June 29th.  I started wearing contacts over the past weekend because the area where the incision was done was severly raised and painful, giving me headaches from pressure from my glasses.

The same day I wore my contacts for the first time since my surgery, my eye began to tear again.  It's been dry for all this time and now it's running almost constantly, although it's only clear and not full of green or yellow pus like it used to.

Does this indicate my surgery was once again not a success?  I had surgery to fix a problem with my sinuses, namely the side I now have tearing, and immediately after surgery my eye began to tear.  The left side of my nose is still plugged almost constantly, and my left eye runs like crazy.  I had a soft tube put in my tear ducts a year after that surgery didn't work, and a year ago had that taken out because of complications as well.  Now this - I'm so frustrated I want to cry.  I am worried about how raised my scar is, if the tube is pushing out, and whether I'm going to be stuck wiping my eye forever!  Has anyone else had this procedure and had the problem come back?  I haven't even had the soft tube removed yet so I know that could help, but it didn't when I had it done alone the first time and it's hard to believe it could actually work this time.  I just want to have a dry eye again!
no, IMO just b/c you had tearing with contact lens wear, that does NOT mean to me that the surgery was a failure.  especially since it is "clear" and not goopy like before.

just wait and try not to be too frustrated or upset.  you still havea good shot at recovery IMO.
A related discussion, Laser DCR was started.