Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Post-cataract surgery, Yag laser and endothelial dystrophy

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Posted this in my earlier thread but it seems to have been overlooked. I had cataract surgery recently (Nov and Dec 05), and was not completely happy with the outcome (-3.5 and -3.25)
I don't have the option of any further surgery as I
also have endothelial dystrophy. Last week I went to the optomotrist to order my new glasses and he was surprised at the prescription...he said he'd never seen one that high for a new cataract patient. He also commented that he could see "something" in one eye which he thought might be the beginning of a "secondary cataract" (I had noticed this blurriness from day one after the surgery but the surgeon said it would go away - it hasn't). I'm wondering now whether in fact it is to do with the reduced cells (would I have lost more cells during the cataract procedure and the surgeon didn't tell me??). If I DO develop a secondary cataract, is the YAG laser procedure going to put my corneas at even more risk? (This is something I neglected to ask my surgeon.) Thank you!
the YAG posterior capsulotomy DOES NOT put your cornea at any risk at all.