Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Post cataract surgery pupil dilation

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Post cataract surgery pupil dilation
Approximately 1 week ago I had cataract surgery on my left eye. I not have a large ring type floater and my  pupil has not dilated since the surgery. Is this normal? The pupil always stays the same size..small. Will this floater go away?
the floater sounds like a weiss ring from a pvd.  you should inform your surgeon...but its not serious.  yes, it will go away but it may take 9 months to a year.

as for the pupil constriction that certainly sounds interesting, but i would (and do) not think serious.  ask your surgeon.
I recently (11/7/06) had an AcrySof lens implanted in my right eye.  As of this writing, the pupil has remained very small and will not dialate. The results of which cause almost total blindness at night and extremely poor vision in dim light.  So far my doctor has been somewhat less than concerned.  I'm now searching the intenet to find out if this could be something that is permanent and, if so, correctable with more surgery.  Or, if it is temporary and will eventually correct itself.  Anyone have any ideas?
A related discussion, Pupil doesn't dilate after cataract ssurgery was started.
A related discussion, small pupil post cataract surgery was started.