Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Problems seeing trails

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Problems seeing trails

I have been seeing trails for over two years now, I have seen lots of doctors in the past and know one knows what this is it happens more in dim lighting or against dark objects could anyone help me THanks so much
I read your posting and wanted to reply as I know how odd this vision problem is...I had the same thing happen to me about 10 years ago and was really scared. It seemed to come on instantly and without warning. I was folding laundry one night and was sorting white socks against a dark couch and saw a trailed after image of the socks. If I moved my hand across in from of my face I saw trails. I really got scared and went from regular doctor to ophthalmologist to neuro-ophthalmologist with very little help. I looked on the internet had found a handful of people (around my age - 32 at the time) who suffered from the same thing - all without any explanation of how/why this started. No one was a drug user or seemed to have any obvious reason for the vision problem. Many, like me, had been given blood test and MRIs and nothing was out of the ordinary.

The two cases that seemed to be linked to a medical issue were from people who had used Chlomide (sp??) for help in getting pregnant and with one person with MS. The MS case was only a single case but the Chlomide issue is well documented. I have also heard that many people were assumed to have used drugs in their youth...frankly I do not believe this as being the case but who knows...

I can tell you that with time it has gotten better. Although it still occurs, the trails are more faint. I am also reassured by the fact that it has not gotten worse with time. (That was my big fear) Someone had given me the advice not to "focus on it" as it would seem worse. At the time I found that callous and dismissive as I really just wanted someone to try and help me. The advice was actually good though because as I found myself obsessing on it, it was worse.

I am sure that something occurred with all of us that caused this strange occurrence...some increase in hormone levels, medication, stress, who knows...The thing I want you to know is it does not seem to get worse with time. I have seen a gradual decrease in symptoms and almost never even think about it anymore. I hope you too will be able to see a reduction in symptoms over time.

all the best

Andie_w