Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Pytergium Surgery - with autograft - stiches or stitchless?
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pytergium Surgery - with autograft - stiches or stitchless?

I am 54 years old and just had inter-ocular lens implants in both eyes - ReStor in one eye and ReZoom in the other. My eyesight has iimproved drastically, except for far vision in my left eye, which has a pytergium that my doctor thinks is "bending" my eye and causing vision distortion. I am scheduled for pytergium removal with autograft with stitches on June 7, 2007.

I am concerned about pain and recovery time with this method using stitches, versus the "stitchless" technique using fibrin glue. Which technique is best, and which should I choose?
Related Discussions
it depends on the patient and the doctor and the pterygium.  each procedure has its pros & cons, and each procedure works a little bit differently depending on the lesion.  there is no real 'better' or 'worse' procedure.  too many factors.  

best to trust your surgeon.  if you are uncomfortable with his/her decision, seek a second opinion.
3 Comments
Blank
Is there a significant difference in recovery time for the two options?  And, is it common for a surgeon to use just one technique, or do most perform both the "stitchless" and "stitch" autograft procedures?

Blank
most surgeons that i know do both or have done both.  the stichless one has shorter recovery time, but as far as i know is limited to a certain size/type of pterygium.  i think the larger/more invasive ones need the stitch type.
Blank
Thank you for your help.  I appreciate your honest answers.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank