Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Rapid increase in astigmatism with headaches

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have been having headaches now for 8 months, every day, worsening with any kind of visual stimulation (computer, reading, TV) all of which I now avoid as the discomfort in my eyes has become unbearable.
I went to a LASIK doctor two days ago who checked my prescription now and compared it with my prescription history which I had taken along with me (3 different opthamologists checked my eyes because of the headaches in August 2006).
My astigmatism has jumped from -3.00 to -4.25 in my right eye and in my left eye from -1.25 to -4.75.
They checked me for kerakotonus and said I didn't have this and recommended me for PRK next week.
My neurologist also noticed some slight blurring around my optical nerve but said that I don't fit the type for benign intracranial hypertension.
My questions are 1) should I be having PRK if my prescription has jumped this much in such a short space of time?
2) Are there any links between the jump in astigmatism, the headaches and the nerve swelling?
3)Can stress make astigmatism worse?
4) Could my astigmatism change again for the better or the worse?
Any help you can give me would be much appreciated, I'm at my wits end.
'1) should I be having PRK if my prescription has jumped this much in such a short space of time?'

this is a metter of opinion.  you will find docs who will recomend YES and you will find docs that will recommend NO.  it is my opinion that patients probably  need to have the same rx over & over again for like 1.5 years before any refractive surgical procedure.

'2) Are there any links between the jump in astigmatism, the headaches and the nerve swelling?'

jump in astig and headaches...possibly.  jump in Rx and nerve swelling...no

'3)Can stress make astigmatism worse?'

trick question.  corneal astigmatism...NO.  lenticular astigmatism YES, if the stress is 'visual' stress (not emotional stress)

'4) Could my astigmatism change again for the better or the worse?'

of course.  no guarantee that any patient will or wont change later.
Thank you. The majority of the astigmatism in corneal.
Can I take your post to mean that emotional stress has no bearing on this whatsoever?
emotional stress has no bearing on amount of astigmatism...
What would be your best guess or recommendation in this situation?
sorry, no good guess in this case.