Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Recurring red/pink eye
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Recurring red/pink eye

In late January I woke up with a very pink/red eye with a slight amount of discharge.  I went to my physician that day and he said it was likely viral pinkeye (conjunctivitis), and to use warm compresses and wait it out.  A day or two later, I had the cold symptoms that I've been told often come with it.  After almost three weeks, I finally felt better, but woke up again one morning and had it again.  This time it lasted about 2 weeks.  Then it came back, but only for about a week.  I pretty much was sick all of February and into March, with three total occurrences of pinkeye.

Just today, I again woke up with a pink eye, and some of the cold symptoms are slowly returning.  As before, the eye is red, feels dry, but only very slightly itchy, and with just a tad of discharge.  All four times now it has been my left eye, never any problems with my right eye.  I have never had pinkeye before this year.

I have two questions about this:  First, why does it keep recurring and is it something to worry about?  Second, in December I was given a broad-spectrum antibiotic (amoxicillin) for a probable ulcer - I have heard that such drugs can also kill off "beneficial bacteria" and lead to catching a lot of bugs until your body rebuilds those colonies.  Any truth to that?  Would that explain this onslaught of pinkeye?

Thanks!