Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Recurring red/pink eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Recurring red/pink eye

In late January I woke up with a very pink/red eye with a slight amount of discharge.  I went to my physician that day and he said it was likely viral pinkeye (conjunctivitis), and to use warm compresses and wait it out.  A day or two later, I had the cold symptoms that I've been told often come with it.  After almost three weeks, I finally felt better, but woke up again one morning and had it again.  This time it lasted about 2 weeks.  Then it came back, but only for about a week.  I pretty much was sick all of February and into March, with three total occurrences of pinkeye.

Just today, I again woke up with a pink eye, and some of the cold symptoms are slowly returning.  As before, the eye is red, feels dry, but only very slightly itchy, and with just a tad of discharge.  All four times now it has been my left eye, never any problems with my right eye.  I have never had pinkeye before this year.

I have two questions about this:  First, why does it keep recurring and is it something to worry about?  Second, in December I was given a broad-spectrum antibiotic (amoxicillin) for a probable ulcer - I have heard that such drugs can also kill off "beneficial bacteria" and lead to catching a lot of bugs until your body rebuilds those colonies.  Any truth to that?  Would that explain this onslaught of pinkeye?

Thanks!
yes, there is some truth to the beneficial bacteria theory, but i doubt it applies in this case.

i also seriously, seriously doubt you are having repeated recurrences of viral 'pink eye'  technically possible, but statistically improbable.

much, much more likely to be something else: recurrent corneal erosion, blepharitis, lagophthalmos, CONTACT LENS ASSOCIATED RED EYE (are you a contact lens wearer??), etc etc

you probably need a second opinion or another exam.
1 Comment
Thanks for the quick response.

Nope, I'm not a contact wearer.

Also, in the three previous cases, when using the hot compresses the eye redness goes away after 1-3 days, although the cold-like symptoms continued.

The original "month of the red eye" occurred when it was bitterly cold outside (I own two dogs and take them for a long walk after work), and then this current time happened just after this Michigan weather change this week back to cold and rainy. The weather change caused sinus draining, and last night I felt slighly under the weather with less appetite, and then this morning woke up with a crusty, red eye.

I'll talk to my doctor about it next time I see one unless I get it yet again...

Thanks!