Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Restor versus Rezoom.

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Restor versus Rezoom.

I am scheduled to have cataract surgery in both eyes.  I am 48, very active in cycling (both road and mountain bikes), motorcycling, and work as an application anaylist.  I am very concerned about loosing intermediate distance if I choose the Restor lens.  My doctor has recommended the Restor lens (for reading) for me but while doing research I came across the Rezoom lens.  My doctor does not currently use the Rezoom lens.  It is very hard to distinguish between actual facts and advertising hype while researching both lenses.

I would like to hear from patients who have either lens and who are also close to my age and active.
there are some here...hopefully they'll respond!
Fatcat57 - Had to same dilemma as you with trying decide which IOL was better for me and my lifestyle.  Suggest you read all the postings and threads in the archives under Cataracts (Restor vs Resume).  I posted several times under that thread.  In one of the posting I mentioned that one of the surgeons I was considering only offered Crystalens and ReStor.  The other surgeon offered all three including ReZoom.  After consultation and exams with the one that offered all three, he recommended the ReZooms based on my active lifestyle including tennis and golf and shooting. I'm having my second ReZoom IOL stalled today and I can't wait.  The first one turned out to be nothing less than spectacular.  That includes distance intermediate and close.  Suggest to get a second opinion and evaluation from a surgeon that offers the ReZoom.  Also visit the Advanced Medical Optics web site, www.amo-inc.com for more information on the ReZoom.  Site will also provide list of surgeons.  Good Luck.
The Rezoom lens provides you a range of focus with intermediate,near and distance. It is much more suited to an active lifestyle and computer work. Biking, tennis golf etc. In bright light outdoors you will have the distance and some intermediate but not as good reading. But I guess if you want to read while trying to ride you bike, than the Restor is okay. Just kidding to make a point. Make sure you pupils are not too small and will dialte to over 2.2mm to bring in the near for reading in lower light.
Bill in Jax- great news on your ReZoom procedure. I have been following your decision making process and find it very interesting as you toyed between the lenses and consulted with your surgeon. I think you chose the right lens for your life style and am very pleased for your. Let me know if it lowers your handicap and you start dropping a few more putts. My dad has Array lenses and is still an active golfer at age 82. He has golf ball to score card vision and loves it. His Cleveland Launcher also still gives him hope for the game as well.
Thanks for your comments, guys.  I am typing this after having my second Rezoom lens installed this morning.  I am still clouded by dilation and meds but I see already that the result will be good.  I have been functioning the past two weeks since my left eye was done without reading glasses and with excellent distance vision while using a distance contant lens in my right eye.  Intermediate vision with my left eye alone was still not as good as expected this way, especially in lower light situations, but I attributed it to the fact that my dominant right eye was affecting it,  I think I was right, as even with a blurred right eye right now I can read my typing on the computer screen and see the keyboard better than I did yesterday.  So I expect excellent comments from my doctor when I see him for the follow-up visit tomorrow morning.

I still have a ways to go before coming to a definitive conclusion but for a high myope active person who has worn thick glasses for 55 years and high correction contacts for nearly 40 years, this is a wonderful experience.  Viva la Rezoom (so far).
I should add that th ehelp I received was on a previous thread now closed.  Also, for the new people, I also am active as  a skier, tennis player, hiker, and biker.  I have skied four times since I had my left eye done 2 weeks ago and my distance vision was better than with my right eye and I still could see well close and even intermediate.  I played tennis indoors this week and found glare/reflection from the lights on my left to be disturbing.  It was cured by putting on a hat.  This should also become better with both eyes done - I hope.  I am sure it will be better outdoors.
Status Report.  On 2/22/2006 surgeon removed cataract and inserted ReZoom IOL in R/E (dominate).  Post OP exam next day indicated I had 20/25 vision in the R/E with the new IOL.  Needless to say the patient and the surgeon were very very pleased.  Surgeon advised the vision would only get better with time.  It has been 4 weeks since the L/E was done and only 2 days for the R/E.  Distance vision is spectacular with clarity and vivid color I have not experienced for many years.  Intermediate vision is excellent for computer work and driving with all gauges and LED screens crisp and clear.  Reading or near vision is good which I feel will improve with time. I am able to read newspapers and magazines (12"-13" range)without any real problems.  I am able to read better in off light or subdued light vs direct bright overhead light or sunlight on the reading materials.  This I believe is due most likely to dilation issues with the new IOLs. All in all I know that I made the right choice going with the ReZoom/ReZoom.  I hope this will be of some help for those in the future who are trying to decide on IOL choices.

eyecu - I could not wait any longer and had to go to the driving today to hit a bucket of balls to test drive my new ReZooms.  Never hit them better. Tiger may now be in trouble.
I am one year your senior and had ReZoom surgery 4 weeks ago today on my non dominant eye. My dominant eye has just the beginnings of a cataract.

I did a tremendous amount of research on IOL lens and my clear choice is ReZoom (based on the technology of the lens).

Excellent, is all I can say about the results. I am also very active and am thrilled with my new vision. I am holding on the second eye as I wear a multifocal contact. One ReZoom/ one multifocal contact is giving me spectacular vision.

I went in yesterday for a follow up visit and all is well. With just my Rezoom eye, I am seeing 20/20 and can even read some letters at 20/15. My intermediate is excellent and I can read very fine print (J1 on the chart) at 14 inches. ReZoom was the right choice for me and as my other eye gets worse, ReZoom will be my choice.

Night time vision is excellent with only a very small amount of halo around stop lights, but only if I think about it. Low light reading is great.

I have posted on this forum both before surgery and after, providing as much detail as I could for others to review.

Please ask if you have any specific questions. I would be happy to provide any details you need.

Find a Rezoom surgeon (or ask yours) to implant ReZoom. You won't be disappointed! Please search this forum for posts from Eagle Eyes. Lot's of experience working with cataract patients and every posts reflects my experience well.

Here is a link to a series of articles that I found very useful.

Rezoom, ReStor, and Crystalens info included.

I hope this helps!

www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/1005/CRST10005_supp.pdf
Thank you and everyone for their response.

I was supposed to have another consult with my doctor this past Friday but they called and cancelled and have not yet rescheduled the appointment.  But each time I talk with someone at that office, they can only recommend Restor and they do not use Rezoom.  It seems they don't even want to discuss the Rezoom lens. I am in the process of trying to find another doctor to talk to about Rezoom.  It is scary because I know that my doctor is the best in the city and I do not know who else to turn to.
If your doctor does not offer ReZoom IOLs he may not be one of the best in your city yet. Suggest you call the office of Dr.
Robert I. Schnipper at 904-355-5555 in Jacksonville, FL.  Ask for Angel and see if you can get a recommendation for a surgeon in a city near you that offers all three IOLs as a consideration for his patients needs.  Dr. Schnipper is not only one of best in the city of JAX, he is one of the best in country.  Many of his patients travel from all over the country for his professional services.
Please refer to my posting under Crystlens problems for update on ReZoom results as of today. Replies can be posted under either thread.
I am now four days after getting the seond ReZoom lens installed and I have forgotten that I used to wear glasses - thick glasses. At my day after check-up I was not 20/20 distance yet but I hope it will come as I stop the anti-biotic and steroid drops and let everything settle.  But as far as the real world right now, I see distance better than I did with my contacts (-7.5D left, -10.5D right)and have no problem reading the computer screen, the TV, the dashboard, the keyboard, the mail, and the newspaper all without glasses.  So I am a very happy camper with  my ReZoom experience so far.  And I thank many of you for providing me advice that made me more comfortable with making the investment and this choice.  Viva technology!

One thing I found when talking to acquaintences who are planning to or just had cataract surgery.  They said that their surgeons never mentioned to them that they had had or have the option of a multi-focal lens.  This suggests to me (and to the optometrist who referred me) that all surgeons are not trained yet in using this technology, which after all is quite new.
philz- you should just get better. Just like many of us, some surgeons are resistant to change. They will be forced to come around or will decide to refer to ones that do adopt the tecnology. Array surgeons were ahead of the game as they have been doing this for 7 years. Refractive surgeons who do cataracts are also ahead of the game. Just because a surgeon uses one of the new lenses does not mean he has been doing it long. They can all implant them, but dealing with accuracy of measurements, correcting astigmatism and gaining experience by listenig to patients and telling them what to expect and how to deal with it comes with experience. One of the leaders in patient education agrees with you. He thinks eveyone should be informed and have the option. Communications today such as the internet are spreading the word as well as the competition between companies and surgeons. We should all continue to get better and learn from it and offer better results to the patient.
What can I expect? I had lasik surgery on my dominate left eye many years ago. I am 48 years old, on 3/1/06 I had a Restore lens implanted in my right eye.  Vision for distance not nearly as clear as my left eye, near vision very poor.  I am writing this with my reading glasses.  Is there  any hope for improvement?  I know it has only been 3 days, but appreciate any feedback!
I had a second consult today. This doctor said that I probably was not a candidate for either the rezoom or restor because of my high astigmatism. He said that LRI(?) at the time of lens implant surgery probably could not correct my astigmatism. He also said he does not use these lenses on patients that are near sighted because distance vision is not good. Near vision, however, is great.    He suggests that I have the surgery with a MOL.  Surgery to correct my astigmatism was not mentioned by the first doctor I saw.  The second doctor said that even with using a MOL I would still need lasik surgery within a couple of months after the lens implant to correct the astigmatism.

Sounds like your second doc has not embraced the new lenses. ReZoom gives good distance vision. How much astigmatism do you have? What city are you in?
You do need more time for things to settle in. Find out what your "refraction" is? Most likely you have some astigmatism or the power if off, or some swelling or some little something. Get the nubmers and post them, that will be helpful. Mostly, be patient and use your drops.
I'm not sure of the exact numbers for the astigmatism but do know that it is over 2 in both eyes.

Forgot to mention....I live in San Antonio, Tx.
I have a follow up appointment on 3/16, as of now vision poor. I might need a LRI done for astigmatitism which could have occurred because of the surgery. I hear this  can be done with   an office visit. I will keep you updated!

Fatcat- I agree with others who have suggested that your second surgeon has not embraced multifocal implants. We does he suggest that Lasik post operatively would be an option with a monofocal IOL but NOT after Rezoom implantation?? This is a common approach.  Three weeks ago I operated on a patient whose pre-op refraction was +2.00-3.50x09.  In otherwords lots of astigmatism. We did perform large LRI'S but did not correct all of his astigmatism.  Lasik will be performed after his eye heals.  Meanwhile he wants the second cataract surgery performed.  Simple because a surgeon in your town does the MOST surgery does not necessarily mean he is THE best. Some of these surgeons are financially tied into using only one companies lenses.  Others have posted web site info as to how you can find a Rezoom implant surgeon.   Best of luck     Doctor JOhn

PS fatcat- if you don't mind driving up the road to austin I know Guy Knolle MD there.  He has performed many REzoom implants and prior to the REzoom he used it's earlier version the Array.
                           Doctor JOhn
Just joining your group.  I am currently in the process of deciding whether to go with ReZoom or Crystalens.  I was looking for comparative information when I came across your forum.  I have visited two surgeons in the Atlanta area, both very reputable.  One uses ReZoom and the other Crystalens.  I am wondering if there are data with patient criteria that suggests the usage of one over the other?  Knowing that the Crystalens is an accomodating lens, wonder if with age (I am 63 but in very good health) the muscles may not be as strong as in a younger person - making the ReZoom a better bet?  Without being told I have a hint that the Crystalens surgeon may be going to offer ReZoom as well in the future.
I would go to www.harvardeye.com. This site has a great comparison of all the lenses.
See my older thread titled "Crystalens problems" for my experience with that lens.  You may be forunate and not have any problems as it settles in, but if it gets any scar tissue around it, you will probably want to remove it as it will move out of position and you will not like your vision result. The scar tissue effect will not show up for several months and by then it will be very hard to remove without damaging the capsule. Mine was damaged.
  I have had 2 additional eye surgeries trying to recover from my experience with Crystalens.  If the Rezoom lens had been available for me last June, I could be a much happier camper today.  I had a few days to see the Rezoom results before it decentered and my vision went slightly double. It was stunning.  I also had 20/20 vision from the Crystalens for a short time which was good, but it did not approach that of the Rezoom.  The Crystalens puts a blue color tint on everything and has trouble with flares on night lights.  The days after my Rezoom exchange, I saw no night time aberations and there was no color tint.  
   If the Crystalens implant had performed as expected, I would not have seen the superiority of the Rezoom and would have been satisfied with Crystalens, as many others are.  It didn't perform and the difficulty of removing it and the resulting damage caused me major vision problems which it seems now may be permanent, because last Mondays Rezoom redo surgery with suturing did not produce results even close to what I had expected and had experienced the week before.
    I really dislike writing some of the above on a public forum, but maybe someone sometimes has to be candid about their experience, so others can make a more educated decision in such an important area.  My email address is ***@**** if you have any more questions which maybe better discussed in private.
     Good luck to you.
Highsound-Your surgeon implanted the lens in the ciliary sulcus which is behind your iris and in front of the capsular bag. It sound like your bag was compromised which I think you might have had a YAG laser before which is used to open up the capsule when it becomes opacified after cataract surgery which can happen within 3 months or 3 years or longer. Think of your capsule or lens like a grape. Then think of the grape being the middle of daisy. All of the petals are called zonules which are tiny little ligaments that connect from the equator of the capsule to the ciliary muscles. If you have a compromised capsule but have intact zonules, than you can place the lens in the sulucs and it will be fine. It sounds like some of the zonules gave way which caused the lens to decenter so the surgeon placed a suture around one of the loops of the lens to hold it in place. Plus, you had some vitreous come forward which can decenter it as well. What has he told you since. You have had a lot of surgery and have been through the ringer. But if the lens is now in place, did he act like you still have a chance. I am sure that your eye is inflammed from all of the surgery but with a regimen of anti-inflamatory drops and topical steriods, it should settle down over the next 3 to 6 weeks. Sometimes it can take longer but the eye has some pretty remarkable healing power as well.If your lens stays centered, there are no retinal problems and it heals with time, you still have a chance. The last result would be to implant a monofocal anterior chamber lens in front of the iris for distance correction and then have a ReZoom in the other eye. There are still possibilites although I am sure you are gun shy at this point. Keep us informed.
Thanks for your reply eyecu.  Here's my history starting with my Crystalens implant early last July.
    Scar tissue formed on the nasal side of my eye causing the Crystalens to move out of position about 2months after implant. A Retinal specialist confirmed this with a complete exam of both eyes. Exam results were excellent except for the scar tissue. Doc used a Yag laser to eliminate the scar tissue 3mths out. I did not have any opacification, so to my knowledge he would not have a reason to zap the capsule bag and he did not indicate he did.
   I got a slight improvement to the Crystalens image. My distant vision was poor and my close and intermediate vision continued to deteriate.
   The Rezoom lens was implanted on 2/22. My understanding was the Doc thought he could remove the old lens and leave my capsule intact for a normal Rezoom implant.  Afterwards, he said a capsulotomy (I think that was the term used) was done and he left the side bars of the old lens in. My worst fear was realized.
    For the next several days fantastic vision- 20/20 far and 20/30 near vision with zero nightime aberations. Then a ghost image started and then double vision. The explanation you gave as to what happened was correct. He performed followup surgery to do a McCannel suture on 3/6.  Took about 30 minutes. The next day to now my close vision is blurry even with magnifiers on, and there is a transparent ghost image above and to my left of the main image. If the ghost image was not there, I believe the main image would be pretty clear. It starts at about 2 ft. and gets worse with more distance. Nightime driving is a real lightshow with halos and other blinding aberations everywhere there is any light.  I will need to wear an eye patch or stop night driving, it's that bad.
     My vision is a bit better in the morning, but gets worse after eye drops and reading with or without glasses.
     Last weeks exam showed still centered lens with some mild edema.  He said there may be some refraction error.  That didn't make sense, since the lens worked great the week before.  I seem to have a small vision sweet spot about 10 inches out.
     Is it possible the lens is slightly tilted and that is causing the problem?  Are the Pred Forte, AcularLS, and Zymar drops a temporary causal factor?  Should I go a day without reading and using the drops to see if there is improvement?
     After 7 mths of this up and down cycle and 3 surgeries, I'm pretty much wrung out, discouraged, and frustrated.  My family is suggesting I go to another doc for another opinion especially if I need another (dread) surgery.   Living with what I'm seeing now will be difficult. My other eye is still 20/20 but has a small cataract for years which is not growing in size. Except for close vision, it is good in all situations. When the Rezoom was centered, my eyes worked great together. It's a great lens.
     My next appt is early Monday.  My Doc is always in a hurry and not into detailed explanations. Most of his patients are pretty elderly and wouldn't understand them anyway. His assistants are great to me,and I could never over compliment them enough for their help and empathy for my situation.
    He was sure the suture would fix the Rezoom alignment but it doesn't seem to me to have done so.  He didn't have my eye dilated for the operation. I don't know if the suture was to the zonules or the iris or wherever.  I just know the crisp clear vision from before is not there, and it should be if he put it back into the original position.
     My appologies for the long explanation, but I obviously have a lengthy history.  I wanted to give you enough info to make an educated input.
     Thanks for any further input you can give me.  If any of the other professionals who offer their advice on this board would like to join in, I would be pleased.  This forum is great and has helped me to better understand whats going on in my eye.  By the time I'm done with my problem, maybe I'll be able to offer some constructive lay person advice to others in mental distress like me.  Believe me, it really helps when you don't know where to turn.  I'm not bitter or mad.  I just want my sight back.
My email address is ***@****.
YEs I agree wtih Doctor John. ... if you can drive the hour to Guy Knolle, you will have the best. He has them in his own eyes and has done hundreds of them. He is honest and patient. Will give you a straight answer.
I don't recommend stopping your drops. Do what your doc says on the drops. Pred Forte is a steroid and will help with the healing. As much as you have gone through with the multple surgeries, you need it. The Acular LS is like Advil for the eye. helps with infalmmation and aides the healing process. The Zymar is a powerful antibiotic so you do not get an infection inside the eye.   You could try some artificial tears between your prescription drops. Sometimes they help to clear things up. Blink often and thoroughly and do not rub your eyes. that makes everything worse! I know you have been through alot, but be patient. Where do you live?
Thanks for your reply.  I have been doing all you recommended since my initial Rezoom implant on 2/22.
Went for a walk yesterday at fast pace. An hour later, my eye felt a bit swollen and my vision got worse for long time.  My Doc said it was ok to exercise, but I didn't like the after effects. Any reading with light magnifiers will also degrade vision.
Biggest question I have is why the vision problems now versus none before if the lens was put in same location?  If lens is not absolutely parallel would that cause ghost image I am seeing. When the lens decentered before, the ghost images and night artifacts started and that is why I am so concerned now.
I live in Kansas City, and appreciate any further input from you.
Is your doc in St. Louis or Kansas City? Even though it sounds like he might not be giving you attention, I bet he is thinking about you and how to remedy the situation. All docs know the patients who have problems, they have trouble remembering all the ones who do not have problems. There is still hope at the end of your rough ride. hang in there.
Highsound,
  Thank you for sharing your experience.  I am sorry you are having so many problems.  I suspose we don't really know until we get into it.  That is what makes decisions so difficult.  I believe, I will be going with the Crystalens based on the fact (that may be incorrect but..) that this doctor seems to have given me a more thorough examination than the doctor offering Re-Zoom.
  I will be looking up harvardeye.com and thanks for this information.  The forum is great.  I will try to get back to everyone after I have had the surgery on Mar 28.
Just returned from mon. appt.  No change in vision since operation. Doc did several tests including OCT retinal scan and said the eye was healing nicely and returning to normal.  He said the pupil size was a bit small. Says he is pleased with healing process, but all
The Rezoom is still located dead center.  He sutured it to the iris rather than the zonules, but it supposely is in the same place it was the first time when I had such great vision for a few days. He said the lens configuration negated suturing it to the zonules. If it's in the same place, I wouldn't think my results  would be so mediocre. I think he is puzzled over why I'm having such vision problems now. Me too.  
They are not able to refract me to any better than a real fuzzy  20/30 and the shadow image is still there, so I don't believe at this time a future Lasik or add on lens implant would do much good.  I don't believe that would remove the shadow images anyway.  Not a Lasik fan anyway. Know too many people that have had variable results over time with it and there's always the chance my eye could come around sometime. It won't correct the nighttime problems anyway.
I will wait a few weeks to see if vision improves. I believe Doc is doing everything he can for me.  Obviousily, something has gone wrong somewhere if no improvement by 4/1. I am to continue Acular and Pred Forte drops twice a day.  
Thoughts are going through my mind about the necessity of replacing the Rezoom with a std IOL if things don't improve dramatically, but it would also have to be sutured to the iris, since there is no longer a capsule bag and zonules are weak due to the Crystalens problems and removal.  At least the severe nighttime halos and other artifacts that are now preventing my driving will be gone.  I would potential for close vision, but I don't have anything useful now anyway. I'm reading with one eye.  
  Probably should seek out another Doc in the Kansas City area for a second opinion. Not giving up on mine, but common sense and peace of mind tells me to do so.  If eyecu or eagle eyes or anyone else knows of a top surgeon with lots of experience with these new lenses, please post or send to my email address at ***@****.  
I understand the potential sensitivity of this request.  There are quite a few docs in this area who advertise these multifocal lens implants and they likely know each other and work out of the same clinics. I don't want to just pick one out of the phone book which is what I'd do. I'll even travel to another city if necessary.  Hope my experience does not discourage others from going the multifocal route.  I not giving up on it.
I am going to email you at your yahoo....help is on the way!
I am now three weeks since having my second, dominant right eye done with ReZoom and five weeks after the left.  The good news is that I have forgotten that I used to wear glasses and contacts for very high near-sightedness, as well as reading glasses.  I see well enough to drive and do everything at distance with little night driving issues, see the computer screen as I am typing perfectly, and read most things comfortably as long as there is enough light.  I think I am reading better than expected because my right eye is not corrected for distance (from -10.5D with my prior contacts) as well as the left (from only -7.5D), hence providing me some slight monovision effect.  This is not so desireable as I wanted 20/20 vision for tennis in my dominant right eye, but maybe it will be better with more time.  However, I am very satisfied as after 57 years of wearing thick glasses and 43 years of wearing contacts, I am free of both, thanks to ReZoom.

After reading Highsound's issues, I thought a positive update was needed.  The info provided to me by this thread was very helpful and comforting, so I hope relating my positive experience helps others.
I had the Restor implanted in my left eye last Tuesday 3/14. My near reading vision is very poor, the distance is moderate to good. What has me an the verge of freaking out is the glare from shiny objects outdoors on a bright day and lights at night such as head lights and tail lights from cars is worse than before the surgery. The worst part is I see the glare as concentric circles like bullseyes. I think this may be reflected  from the sections of the lens. I will see the Doctor in 2 weeks. Do you think this will clear up or am I screwed? If this is the permenant result of the surgery I have to think about having the lens removed. I hope that I am just being unduly irrational and that things will improve.
It should improve as your brain adjusts to your new vision. Find out what your refraction is when you go in for next visit. this will give us some insight....
I went back to see the Dr. yesterday, 3 weeks post-op for the Restor in my left eye. Things have improved since my last posting here. Vision outdoors in bright light is 20/25 at all distances, bright clear and crisp. When outdoors I can read fine print and see my watch perfectly. I can even drive without my glasses and feel comfortable and safe. There is some glare during the day from on coming headlights but it is bearable. Indoors is not as good. Reading is not so good. The Dr. said that I was 20/25 reading and distance in the chair and he feels that thins will still get even better. He said there is a slight fold in the capsule that may be impeding the reading and close up vision. He wants to see me i 4 weeks to determine if a YAG touch up will be needed. He is very proud of his work, I am somewhat sceptical. But I do feel much better about the surgery than I did 2 weeks ago. Sometimes I forget where my glasses (minus the left lens) are, that must be a good sign. I will hang in and give him the benefit of the doubt. I may be over reacting but My vision is paramount.
Try to relax. Find out your "refraction" the next time you go and ask what your pupil size is in bright light and dim light and report back to us. Depending on what your answers are, maybe not ReSTOR on 2nd eye. It does take time and things usually get better as your brain adjusts to new vision. However, see what distances are best (near, intermediate, and or distance, and let us know.
I posted a question on another thread regarding info regarding blending ReStor and Rexoom lenses. I found this on line. If anyone has other non-marketing sources regarding this subject, I'd be interested.

Blended vision with two different IOLs improves patient satisfaction
Source: Ophthalmology Times Meeting E-News
Originally published: March 19, 2006
The combination of an apodized diffractive IOL (AcrySof ReSTOR, Alcon Laboratories) in one eye and a refractive multifocal IOL (ReZoom, AMO) in the other provides greater patient satisfaction than the same diffractive IOLs (AcrySof ReSTOR) in both eyes, according to a study conducted by Henry L. Milne, MD.
In a study of 54 patients, 96% of the 29 patients who received the combination lenses (AcrySof ReSTOR/ReZoom IOLs) were satisfied with the overall visual outcomes compared with 74% of 23 patients who received bilateral AcrySof ReSTOR implants. Patient satisfaction with near vision was high at 96% in the blended group compared with 83% in the bilateral AcrySof ReSTOR group. In addition, 94% of the patients in the blended group were completely free of glasses and all would have the procedure again. Thirty percent of bilateral ReSTOR group said they would not repeat the procedure, Dr. Milne said.
"The two different lenses work well together," explained Dr. Milne, during the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery annual meeting. "It is my procedure of choice."
The apodized diffractive lens provides good near vision and the refractive multifocal implant offers patients good intermediate visual results, he emphasized.
Dr. Milne noted that each eye of the blended vision group achieved an uncorrected visual acuity (UCVA) between 20/40 and 20/20 individually, with an average UCVA of 20/30. Bilateral UCVA in this group was even better with a range between 20/25 and 20/15, with an average of 20/20 UCVA.
The range of vision in the blended vision group was impressive, Dr. Milne said.
"The average patient was able to hold a J3 card and read it beyond arm's length. The best patient outcome was 5 inches beyond arm's length," he said. "That is a very nice exercise to have your patients do. Their smiles get really big as they read at J3."
Patients in both the blended vision group and the bilateral ReSTOR group did experience halos at night. Dr. Milne said that patients should be warned preoperatively of this possibility.
Dr. Milne's paper received the Best of Session designation. He has no financial interest in either product.