Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Retina detachment / Cataract surgery side effects

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

In Oct. 2006 I had a retina detachment in the left eye. I has immediate surgery (within 24 hours) and a laser surgery 2 weeks later to fuse the retina. The chance of sucess was 70% I was told. The procedure was sucessful, although I still distortion with the vision I can now read wothout a magnifying glass. Theye is improving gradually.
End of Nov. I had a detachemt in the rt eye. The same procedure was performed, but another detachment occurred 4 days later. A scleral buckle vitrectomy was performed. The gas caused a cataract and my lens was removed at the time. I was 3 months without a lens.
On Feb 26 I had a ReStor implant inserted. I had double vision, tunnel vision and the vision I did have was blurry. I was told a simple laser procedure will remove the scarring and get rid of the clouding and tunnelvision. The double vision was likely caused by the implant which was not centered. I ad the implant removed and an IOL put in. I still have the double vision.
The doctor said I may have developed lazy eye because I had no lens for three mon three months. I have followup appointments with the retina surgeon and cataract surgeon later this month. Although I have seen a total of 7 doctors within the two groups no one ever mentioned double vision may be a side effect of any of the surgeries. It would not have changed a thing even if they had, but at least I would have known.
I dont know the intelligent questions to ask them. Can an examination pinpoint precisely the cause? With  this limited info do you hve any opinions on my long term prognosis?
I am a 57 year old white male with no history of family eye problems
Avatar n tn
'Can an examination pinpoint precisely the cause?'

no, probably not.

'With this limited info do you hve any opinions on my long term prognosis?'

a few, yes.  i seriously doubt you 'developed lazy eye' in the 3 months you didnt have an implant.  thats pretty much impossible IMO in an adult.  much more likely to be retinal wrinkles/distortion/problems, or corneal distortion, or binocular vision problems, or lens implant problems.  it depends on what kind of 'double vision' you have.  if its monocular diplopia...probably a retinal or corneal or implant problem.  if its true binocular diplopia, probably a binocular vision problem.

long term prognosis...this may not be fixable.  if it was something easy, assumedly someone would have already done it.  i kind of doubt that further surgical procedures would help more...b/c once again it would have probably already been tried if it was something easily fixed.

1 Comment
Avatar n tn
There are many reasons why double vision can happen.  I'm guessing that your double vision is binocular, since your doctor suspects a lazy eye.  (Does the second image disappear when you close one eye?)  I think that most cases of double vision can be treated with prisms and/or surgery.  Your eyes have experienced a lot of recent trauma and multiple procedures, so it's very likely that your vision will improve from its current state.

What I can't understand is why you were given a ReStor lens.  People with a history of retinal disease (like you and me) are not good candidates for ReStor (or any multifocal IOL).  It's not clear from your post--was the ReStor replaced with a monofocal IOL?

Best of luck with your recovery.  You'll have to be patient, but I believe that you will see (literally) improvement.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, lens implant was started.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, Retaina detachment side effects was started.
Avatar n tn