Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Retina detachment / Cataract surgery side effects

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

In Oct. 2006 I had a retina detachment in the left eye. I has immediate surgery (within 24 hours) and a laser surgery 2 weeks later to fuse the retina. The chance of sucess was 70% I was told. The procedure was sucessful, although I still distortion with the vision I can now read wothout a magnifying glass. Theye is improving gradually.
End of Nov. I had a detachemt in the rt eye. The same procedure was performed, but another detachment occurred 4 days later. A scleral buckle vitrectomy was performed. The gas caused a cataract and my lens was removed at the time. I was 3 months without a lens.
On Feb 26 I had a ReStor implant inserted. I had double vision, tunnel vision and the vision I did have was blurry. I was told a simple laser procedure will remove the scarring and get rid of the clouding and tunnelvision. The double vision was likely caused by the implant which was not centered. I ad the implant removed and an IOL put in. I still have the double vision.
The doctor said I may have developed lazy eye because I had no lens for three mon three months. I have followup appointments with the retina surgeon and cataract surgeon later this month. Although I have seen a total of 7 doctors within the two groups no one ever mentioned double vision may be a side effect of any of the surgeries. It would not have changed a thing even if they had, but at least I would have known.
I dont know the intelligent questions to ask them. Can an examination pinpoint precisely the cause? With  this limited info do you hve any opinions on my long term prognosis?
I am a 57 year old white male with no history of family eye problems
'Can an examination pinpoint precisely the cause?'

no, probably not.

'With this limited info do you hve any opinions on my long term prognosis?'

a few, yes.  i seriously doubt you 'developed lazy eye' in the 3 months you didnt have an implant.  thats pretty much impossible IMO in an adult.  much more likely to be retinal wrinkles/distortion/problems, or corneal distortion, or binocular vision problems, or lens implant problems.  it depends on what kind of 'double vision' you have.  if its monocular diplopia...probably a retinal or corneal or implant problem.  if its true binocular diplopia, probably a binocular vision problem.

long term prognosis...this may not be fixable.  if it was something easy, assumedly someone would have already done it.  i kind of doubt that further surgical procedures would help more...b/c once again it would have probably already been tried if it was something easily fixed.

1 Comment
There are many reasons why double vision can happen.  I'm guessing that your double vision is binocular, since your doctor suspects a lazy eye.  (Does the second image disappear when you close one eye?)  I think that most cases of double vision can be treated with prisms and/or surgery.  Your eyes have experienced a lot of recent trauma and multiple procedures, so it's very likely that your vision will improve from its current state.

What I can't understand is why you were given a ReStor lens.  People with a history of retinal disease (like you and me) are not good candidates for ReStor (or any multifocal IOL).  It's not clear from your post--was the ReStor replaced with a monofocal IOL?

Best of luck with your recovery.  You'll have to be patient, but I believe that you will see (literally) improvement.
A related discussion, lens implant was started.
A related discussion, Retaina detachment side effects was started.