Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Retinal Detachment Surgery - recovery time and going back to work

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had retinal detachment surgery on the left eye 3 weeks ago. I was off from work about 3 weeks after surgery and just returned to work. The majority of my day is spent looking at the computer or proofreading.

Questions:

What is the normal recovery time for retinal detachment surgery?

Will looking at the computer for long periods of time cause problem for the eye?

I am driving(per doctor said legally I can drive because other eye is okay), is driving okay? I don't drive at night. I only drive to work and to grocery. I leave early in morning to avoid traffic. I just started driving on my return to work.

I have a gas bubble in eye. I was told this will last for about 6 weeks. How can I tell when gas bubble is going away?

Thanks for all responses.
1 Comment
I had this surgery done at the end of last march. As far as recovery time - I imagine you're about recovred by now, other than the gas bubble. Mine took about 2 months to go away, maybe even more. I'm sure the doctor told you not to do any flying or go into the mountains while it's still in your eye. You won't really notice it's dissipation from a day to day basis. Just give it time. I drove on it quite often, even though I needed a corrective lens in the eye. I'm sure your eyesight must be better than mine, though I'll admit I had some close calls from the right side (it was my right eye). As far as looking at the computer for long periods of time - I'm not sure if that will be a problem or not.

Questions:

Thanks for all responses.
Thanks. Mine was on the left eye and I have had a close call changing lanes. Reaction time is slow and depth perception is off. I did go to the doctor yesterday and was told that everything looks fine and is healing. I don't go back for a month.
Generally 3-4 weeks most retinal specialists will let you resume some activities.  If you still have the gas bubble I know my Dr would not let me do anything.  Keeping the gas bubble in a position to maintain pressure on the former tear area is important.  As already not do not fly or drive to an area with significant elevation gain or the bubble can expand and create pressure increase and possible serious damage. My bubble only lasted 15 days.  It was very noticeable as it began to be absorbed.  Looking through that eye it was like watching a carpenters level. I could see out the top a little more each day as the bubble shrank.  Generally if you make it past the 3 month period chances of additional detachments are minimal, but the three months is critical.. After 3 months I was cleared to do whatever I wanted, not boxing or karate but most other things.  Yes peripheral vision is impaired and depth perception is also diminished.  I started work on the computer about a month after the first surgery working a 3-4 hours a day at home.  Within a week I was having soreness in my remaining eye and headaches, just like I had before my first detachments.  I stopped working and the following week was diagnosed with another detachment.  My Dr says it was not related to computer use but I am convinced otherwise.  Take it slow and easy and quit before your eyes get sore and tired.
Vision in left eye after retinal detachment surgery is wavy, has lines and is not clear.

Question - How long will it take before vision become clear?

I have noticed my bubble is shrinking. I do have perpherial vision in left eye; however, since vision is not clear it's hard to make out what is there.

My dr wanted me to go back to work the day after 4th of July after having surgery on the 29th of June. I'm not sure why he wanted me to go back so soon. Then he would say it depends on how you feel. I ended up being off about 2 and a half weeks.
do u all live in the usa?
i come from the uk?
is it expensive to have the surgery?
It is real difficult to say just how good your vision will recover in the RD eye.  I had two surgeries on my right eye.  With each the vision has gotten worse.  Right now I am 1 1/2 years post surgery and I am very disappointed with my vision.  I pin hole to 20/40 but I can't get a pair of glasses which helps.  My vision is so bad -8.25 that to correct for distance I can not see where I walk.  I can't get a bifocal because I lost one eye in the first surgery and need safety glasses and I they don't have a safety lens that they can grind to my reading prescription therefore I have to compromise and my vision is fuzzy and double both near and far.  Each of us is difeernt but from folks I have talked to, most have considerable loss of visual acuity in the RD eye that is never recovered.  

I know a few folks who have one good eye and RD problems like yours.  They have returned to work but find it difficult to drive and have had to make accommodations so they don't drive in dark and real inclement weather. There is a lot of emotional issues they deal with with the bad eye that significantly affects their job performance.  As far as the Drs sending you back to work, I don't really think they understand what we go through.  One of my Drs said I could return to work 4 weeks after my second surgery.  Mind you I lost my other eye two months before in the first surgery so I was left with one eye with 20/120 vision.  I can't see at night. I have no depth perception, I worked in a very high hazard job which required four good eyes at times.  There is no way I can go back doing the work I was doing with getting killed or hurting someone else.  I tried to explain it too the Dr and he said it was a decision I would have to make, but from his standpoint I was fit to return to work.  It posed all sorts of problems.  I finally got diaability but it was a battle.  

The other thing that may be impacting your vision is the presence of a cataract.  The Gas bubble induces a cataract.  Most pople see amarked improvement in their vision when the cataract is removed, but it is not without risk.
4 weeks after retinal surgery, which included a scleral buckle and gas bubble, I am still experiencing headaches, intense pain in the eye ball, like lightning bolts going thru it.  The lightning bolt type pain increases in frequency if I get excited, anxious, stressed or do anything that could be considered even remotely strenuous.  Driving still seems out of the question, due to the poor vision and gas bubble.

The lightning bolt pain has only started in the 4th week, prior to this, the pain was pressure on the eyeball and intense pain on my forehead (over the eye) and cheek.

The vision is almost non existent beyond 1.5 feet and is just a blur of images and colour.  Prior to the surgery I wore glasses only for reading and they do not work at all now.  To look at a computer screen is just white.

They have given me drops for infection and inflamation (inflammation), however the improvement is minimal.  I've seen the Dr. every week, but he doesn't seem to be concerned about the pain.

Has anyone else experienced this or tell me what could be causing it?  Is it possible it's caused from the buckle itself?

I'd appreciate any helpful comments...thanks...
After my scleral buckle I had shots of pain here and there for a couple of months. I'm three months past now and haven't noticed it recently.

I need to look at a computer as part of my work. I started working 11 days after my surgery, although I could only work an hour or two at a time before having my bad eye started having all sorts of shooting lights. Normally if I rested my good eye for 5-10 minutes the bad eye calmed down. At that point the bad eye was still swollen shut. By a month after surgery I was back up to a full schedule...which in my case means 6-7 hours in front of a computer.
A related discussion, Arty was started.
A related discussion, Wavy lines was started.
A related discussion, Ways to improve visual outcome after RD was started.
A related discussion, Wavy Lines Post Vitrectomy was started.