Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Retinal Detachment Surgery... complications?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had retinal detachment surgery nearly three years ago, and just recently started having complications. The flashing has begun again, I've started to have sharp shooting pains in my eye also. I had a sceleral(sp?) buckle put in, and I'm wondering if it's normal to have complications this long after surgery?
I had my last RD surgery nearly two years ago and I still get shooting pains.  I have asked my doctor several times about the significance and he has always seemed unconcerned.  They can be painful, I agree.  I lost my other eye in the first retinal surgery so the pains are especially concerning when they happen now.  Sometimes the pain is so sharp I have to close my eye and that is not good when you only have one.  As far as the flashes go, it sounds like you are having additional psoterior vitreous detachments.  They may or may not lead to additional retinal tears and detachment, but I would get it checked out.
Thanks for the help. I just needed to know if it was normal, but now I know I need to get it checked out. Thanks again!
I have been reading your comments on post op of the retinal surgery with buckel and vitrectomy. One of you described the gas bubble reduction as a carpenters level of a bubble gradually reducing. I am now experiencing this. does this "level" eventually continue to drop and disappear. If so, does that then leave you with clear vision? thanks.
kll1350 - Thanks for the reply. The flashes I spoke of are flashes of pain thank heavens and not light or as you said I would be going through all this again. It is good to hear from someone however that has been through this for a while although I don't relish the pain lasting that long. My vison is still very poor as the shape of my eye has been so dramatically changed. The doctor said glasses will help.

Davemint - You asked about the bubble, my bubble lasted exactly 5 weeks and 3 days  down to the last dot of it, so yes it does continue to disipate although it can be 3 to 4 weeks befor it is noticably reduced to be out of the vision. While the bubble may be gone for me however I have an extremely large floater in it's place and so the vison is very poor, on top of that the buckle changed the shape of my eye and now I'm am extremely near sighted with my other eye being far sighted. Glasses are supposed to help except for the floater which they hope will drop below the line of vision or they will have to do a Vitrectomy ( remove the jelly from inside the eye and replace it with water). Before you panic these are just issues that happened to me and will be dealt with, it doesn't mean they will happen to you only what may happen so you are prepared. The buckle in order to compress the eye if you have one has to change the shape somewhat but the bubble will be gone shortly.

Hi!  I had the retinal detachment surgery with the buckle and gas bubble and all that fun stuff.  I did have the fluid removed, so I don't have any floaters.  It's been six weeks and my gas bubble has shrunk to a size slighter smaller than a pea.  It's shrinking slowly, but surely.  

I'm wondering if any of you who had this surgery recall how long the eye stays dilated.  It has reduced, but is still significantly more dilated than my other eye.  Thanks!
After 6 months post vitrectomy and buckle I am still seeing flashes of light in the bottom left corner and top of my left eye. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
marble824  - After 6 months post vitrectomy and buckle I am still seeing flashes of light in the bottom left corner and top of my left eye. I am wondering if anyone else has had this pro.....

Hey Marble - I had the same thing as you  - Vitr and the buckle and I still occasioanly get the flashes of light - more like glimmering or shimmering lights momentarily - and usually if my eye is tired  - it's been about 7 1/2 months after surgery for me and I assume it's normal - I was seeing those sympoms about  2 months after surgery and I remember my doctor saying that its normal as the retina is healing and it can take up to a year for all to be resolved in my case - it still freaks me out because I always think it's going to happen again as soon as I see any flashes - so just wanted to share with you that I see them too
A related discussion, retinal detachment surgery post op was started.