Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Retinal Detatchment with white line

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Retinal Detatchment with white line

Hello Doctor, I have been to an opthamoligist for a detailed exam of my eyes. I was complaining of floaters in my left eye with spider lines and occasional flashing. When examining my eyes the op. found retinal detachment in my RIGHT eye. I have absolutely NO symptoms at all in this right eye. And he mentioned a white line running through my retina that should be pinkish or red. What would this line be? and surgery was suggested after a retina specialist examines my eye further.Also nothing was suggested for my left eye and the floaters and he thought they would disappear after time. My questions are why no symptoms in my right eye?what is the white line? and my options regarding surgery-I am crazy sick to my stomach scared of the surgery option and what questions should I ask the retina specialist.
Thanks very much!
the white line is the demarcation between attached retina and detached retina.  dont worry about not having symptoms in the right eye.  that doesnt matter.  consider yourself lucky they caught it BEFORE you had symptoms.  you definitely need surgery before you lose vision in that eye, even if you are scared.  if you really do have a detachment, which it certainly sounds like you do, then surgery is probably the only way to prevent total blindness in the right eye.

there are multiple types of surgical procedures that could be performed.  really too many to go into much detail here, and they depend on exactly how "bad" the detachment is, and where it is in your eye.  you could just have a simple in-office laser procedure (although i kind of doubt it if you really do have a "white line"), or you could have your vitreous removed and a gas bubble injected...again there are so many possibilities depending on what exactly is wrong.  ask your surgeon to explain to you exactly what is wrong and what he or she is going to do about it, and make them write down the name of your condition and the name of the surgical procedure they plan on doing, so you can "google" them.

sounds like your left eye just has vitreal floaters.  annoying collagen "debris" that is usually not dangerous and eventually they kind of "sink" to the bottom of your eye and out of your way.  certainly not near as big of a deal as the detachment i your right eye

1 Comment
thank you kindly for your reply and information Doctor. Much appreciated and welcomed, no matter how badly I didn't want to hear it. I am in to see a specialist this week and will be sure to quiz her. Thanks again, very nice forum and very nice of you to reply to everyones question.