Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Right eye and/or lower eyelid numbness and tingling

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I am at a loss.  My right lower eyelid from the middle to the right corner (as well as the actual eye as well I believe) is numb and feeling extremely tingley.  The eye also seems to be a itchy in that area.  The numbness/tingling does seem to project downward towards my cheek bone.  I have never experienced anything like this before.  I have not had an injury that I know of outside the fact that some of my dried make up seemed to get in that eye and I kind of rubbed the eye a bit to get it out but not strong or hard by any means.  I have also rubbed my eye like that in the past and nothing happened.  I am very distressed by this occurrence because it is extremely unsettling.  I did have a bad sore throat at the beginning of last week along with very swollen glands on the neck and lower blood pressure than normal, but I can't remember what the blood pressure was at this moment in time. The blood pressure was low by just a bit.  I am suffering from severe nerve problems due to back-3 surgeries and do take prescribed Kadian which is morphine, but that has been going on for a quite a long time now so the eye does not make any sense as a new condition.  I also was put on nasalcort recently for sinus infections, but I have never had problems with numbness due to my sinus's before.  My family does have a history of stroke/heart attack and I smoke and am a 40 year old woman who has had high cholesterol but is on South Beach Diet.  Should I worry about this eye condition?  Can you give me some info of what has caused this? Please help me asap...THANKS!

Best regards,

Chase2005
numbness and tingling are nerve problems.  i doubt its serious, and it sounds like you have known nerve problems anyway.

did it go away?  if it persists, see your neurologist.  this is not really a problem for a ophthalmologist or optometrist in my opinion.