Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
RsStor vs Resume IOLs

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

RsStor vs Resume IOLs

Faced wtih question of Restor or resume.   How can I compare the two, to help me decide?  Is there a web site with a comparison chart?   Thanks
not really.  not that i know of, anyway.  there is like 3-4 other theads about this on this forum.  scroll down if you dont mind...
www.acrysofrestor.com is the restor website. I love my Restor'd eyes.
If your work envolves sitting in front of a computer all day, I do not recommend the reSTOR lens.  If known the following, I would not have gotten them:

The focal point for near vision is 12 inches.  For reading at 12" is not a big deal, but you need a bright light.  However for a computer,  most people sit about 24 to 36 inches away from the computer screen.  The options are to move the screen to about 4 ft. and increase the font size, move the screen to 10-12 inches away or get computer glasses.  I now have computer glasses and it defeats the purpose of spending the extra money for reSTOR.  

I wasn't aware of the reZOOM lens until after the first eye was done.  I would investigate the near/intermediate distances of any lens and get hard numbers!  I would have either gone with the reZOOM or with standard IOL and wait for a more improved overlay lens (reSTOR is comming out with a "secondary" lens that overlays the standard IOL, I assume that others would do the same in the future).

Good luck with your choice.

utica-
My near vision was close at first, but at about 6 months my "intermediate" vision improved, and my sharpest near vision got a bit farther out. I read the stock charts now at about 16 inches and my distance vision is still excellent. The only "overlay" lens that I have heard about will be a low power ReSTOR for people that already have a single-focus implant in place, and they want good near vision, so this lens will be piggybacked on the old lens.I don't think that is coming any time soon, though.
I use a computer all day and I did use some 1 diopter readers at first, but that was not a big deal. But the rest of my activities were glasses-free. Now I am totally out of glasses.
I hope you have the same long-term result as me. Good luck.
Definitely check out the ReZoom. It gives better distance and intermediate vision than ReSTOR. ReSTOR gives fantastic reading but you have to hold things really close. ReZoom gives good near vision as well. I would not recommend waiting for the overlay lens. It is always better to have one lens when possible. In dim lights (restaurant in the evening, etc) ReZoom gives better reading than ReSTOR.

to find a rezoom credentialed surgeon, go to http://www.visioninfocus.com
To find a ReSTOR credentialed surgeon go to
www.acrysofrestor.com
The Rezoom doctor training course is a one hour telephone conference call. The ReSTOR course is a 4 hour out-of-town program with a full faculty.
Both mutlifocals got FDA approvals at the same time. You'll probably find more doctors in your town that went to the trouble to be trained for ReSTOR, than those who could have gotten Rezoomed much more easily. The numbers don't lie to the fact that the experts, the surgeons whose livelihoods depend on good results, have overwhemingly chosen to be trained for the ReSTOR. Check any state, and city, more doctors want to offer ReSTOR. Why else would they burn a day out of town at their own expense when they could just sit at home on the phone for 1 hour?
If you subscribe to the "Off the Record Research" newsletter, this independent financial service surveyed surgeons around the country and published the findings in their November 17, 2005 issue. see http://www.otaotr.com/
While they state some doctors were curious about how the Array was morphed into Rezoom, the large majority were excited about and were implanting ReSTOR.
Lets get away from how many surgeons are on some board and who was trained. Array surgeons already have a seven year head start on ReStor surgeons. Yesterday is old news. Many surgeons were trained back in 1998 on what they needed to do in achieving good results with multifocal lenses. The Array was the first technology to train them and those surgeons have already been there and done that. Accurate biometry, improved formula's and surgical techniques lead to better results. Surgeons do not have to go to some course to learn about the ReZoom. They are just certified in their accuracy of predicting the post-operative outcome because they have been in the game for the past seven years. They know what they need to do because they were trained by the innovator in the technology. Besides that, you try to paint the ReZoom as nothing more than a distant dominant Array which is off base. Lets hear what the ReZoom patients have to say. Both technologies have their place and there are some patients that have one in each eye to complement each other that are happy. There are happy Crystalens patients on this board. All that matters is 20 happy,
Wow, a place on the internet to express views.  Why do most surgeons attend certification on the restor lens?  Alcon is the largest eye company in the world.  Go with the big boys.  Do they run into trouble?   What happened to their  keratome for laser vision?  Off the market for complications.  What about their excimer laser?  Being out sold by VISX and Allegretto.  As with any company they have their share of problems.  Restor?  Look at the FDA data.  What percent of patients have problems?  Start with 5% have SEVERE glare.  Why does an ophthalmic implantable device get FDA approval if 5% have a severe problem?  Any post on this site complain of dissapointing results with this lens?  You bet.  You might like it, you might not.  Not a place to play craps.  Show me any other multifocal device that has not had complications.  Ask any Restor surgeon if all their multifocal contact lens patients are happy?  Most give up.  Hard to give up once a lens is in  your eye.  Do I dislike ALcon lenses?  No.  Their standard lenses are only the best in the world.  Stick with them.
WOW-
     This forum was brought in to my office by a patient.  I have reviewed most of the posts since early december.  I am an eye surgeon. I HAVE NOT had cataract surgery.  I HAVE NO
WOW-
     This forum was brought in to my office by a patient.  I have reviewed most of the posts since early december.  I am an eye surgeon. I HAVE NOT had cataract surgery.  I HAVE NO INVESTMENT IN ANY OF THE COMPANIES MENTIONED.   I am therefore free to choose which intra-ocular lenses I use based on their own merits.
     The posts on this forum are quite interesting.  I am impressed by the amount of information which everyone is reporting.  I must say, however, that I found "hud"s comments concerning.  His first post that I read came across as this investment banker that reportedly had all of these "facts" about the restor lens. Later posts revealed that he actually has had restor implants himself and has 'a little bit of information about the real world of ophthalmic microsurgery".  It is this type of posting that I would like to address.  Hud's posts failed to reveal initially that he actually has a bias to his "reporting" in that he has restor implant and I would bet is also invested in either Alcon, Nestle, or one of its' subsidiaries.  When I attend professional meetings the FIRST thing that is revealed by the presenter of a paper is whether or not they have such a bias which could possibly interfer with their "objective" analysis of the results.  Having said this let me share some thoughts regarding these lenses:
     1) I have used the Array lens since it was approved.  This was, and still is, a great lens.  It was probably ahead of its time because a lot of eye surgeons did not have the skill necessary to remove a cataract and leave the patient with minimal astigmatism and neither near or farsightedness. Multifocal surgery is MUCH MORE than simply putting in a multifocal intra-ocular lens.  ALL the multifocal lenses will produce some halos at night.  The Array did also.  The Rezoom lens produces substantially LESS halos than did the ARRAY.  
     2) The Restor lens concept was originally produced by 3m.  Many of their lenses were implanted world wide but the lens was never approved by the FDA. This lens was never produced on a "foldable" platform.
     3) The Crystalens was born from an analysis of cataract patients that had a "plate haptic" intra-ocular lens implanted.  These patients had better near vision than other ihtra-ocular lens patients.  Certain investigators learned that there was a minimal amount of movement of the lens in response to muscle activity within the eye.  The Crystalens near vision, then, is conditional upon the intra-ocular lens being able to MOVE within the eye.  While this may occur to a limited extent it can also be lost subsequent to cataract surgery and does not produce as good a near vision as any ot the other "multifocal" intra-ocular lenses.
    What is a cataract patient to do?  My advise is to find a good SURGEON.  Rather than spending a lot of effort on the LENS you want spend as much effort of finding a good surgeon who will answer your questions.  Explain to him/her  your desires for spectacle lens independance and arrive at a choice with them. For me, in the future, it will quite possibly be mixing different technologies between the two eyes.  This does not mean one company is admitting the short comings of their lens (note HUD) it is simply taking advantage of the two different technologies.
    Having said all of the above I will state that while I can use ANY of the lenses without bias I tend to use primarily the Rezoom lens.  The reasons have to do with the company...
     AMO (the company that distributes the Rezoom, now owns Visx, now owns the Verisys lens, recently purchased Pharmacia, etc) was "spun off" by Allergan.  The company was not "dumped".  The reasons had to do with Allergan wanting to spend research dollars on intra-ocular lenses while investors wanted more "drugs" because that was "where the money was at".  AMO has done nothing but grow since this change.
     Alcon, as HUD has suggested, is a large reputable company.  I cannot be concerned about whether Nabisco, or Ford Motor Company owns a large part of them. I have used many of their products through my career.  I might share, however, that they use different marketing strategies than some other companies.  For instance, their instrument that removes cataracts will retail for over 100,000.  Commonly they will drastically cut the price of that instrument in exchange for the surgeon using their lenses exclusively.  I run away from agreements like this because they bias my selection of intra-ocular lenses.
    Support from the company is very important to a surgeon.  Throught the years I have seen Alcon abandon the service and production of Opthalmic office support software (the IVY system), abandon the service and production of ophthalmic ultrasound instrumentation (used for determining IOL power at cataract surgery), abandon the service and production of the microlamellar keratome (the flap maker at the time of cataract surgery), and perhaps other products.  Because of these issues I tend to avoid the company.  They do make a good multifocal IOL.
     Having just posted a long letter on multifocal IOL's I would like to encourage people to share their experiences and also to reiterate that they should place their efforts on selecting their surgeon-- then allow him/her to suggest what is best for YOU--after all this is what you are paying them for.
                                   John Sonntag, MD
Dr. John:  Excellent points.  I am down to 2 surgeons with excellent reputations.  The dilemma in lens choice is this:  one surgeon recommends REZoom , the other Restor lens.So, as the patient, I am taking  the initiative to learn as much as I can and then make a decision. Since I am under 45 y. old,I have to guess what kinds of activities I will be doing in the future to decide which lens would be most appropriate.One surgeon implants BOTH lenses, the other surgeon only implants RESTOR lens. There is an entry CATARACT 49 who has just had the Rezoom implanted and has been giving some valuable information re: his recovery process and what it "looks" like through his eyes. Unfortunately, the thread we were having a conversation on ,is now "full". I hope he continues to let us know about his progress.

Nursept-
     If cataracts are NOT causing you significant symptoms (glare, blurry vision) please consider observation. If, on the other had, you need surgery then consider having the Restor implanted in your dominant eye and the Rezoom in the nondominant eye.  Using this combination your dominant eye will provide you with slightly better near vision than Bilateral Rezoom's.  The intermediate vision will be picked up in your "non-dominant eye" by the Rezoom implant. Some surgeons may be adverse to this from a "purist" standpoint but the concept is gaining in popularity.  Good luck                       Doctor John
The one person I cannot disagree with is Doctor John. He has the experience and the knowledge and has worked with all of the lenses. He speaks from experience. He also seems very fair and balanced.
Dr. John and EyeCu:  Thanks so much.  Dr. John, unfortunately, the visual disturbances caused by my Lt. eye cataract are now to the point of rainbow halos, I can't drive at night  anymore. The halos totally take over my vision.  Depth perception is a problem (i.e. stairs).  I can only focus at a distance of 1-2 inches in front of the Left eye--that is it.The right eye is going, also. Pretty much the same path as the left eye has taken over the last 2 years.  Believe me, I am NOT into elective surgery.  I am only doing the surgery out of desperation. After reading both your comments and the comments of Eyecu, I will ask about the possibility of 2 different lens - one in each eye.  Is there any literature or anecdotals re: this practice?  
I did not do well w/ a simulated monovision (when my L eye was deteriorating and the Rt. could still see well).  I go to see my third  surg. consult Feb 6.
toubledeciding;

I have been posting my questions and comments both before and after cataract surgery (7 days ago now). My right eye was the first to be operated on and it is my non-dominant eye. After 8 months of research, I selected ReZoom, and am very pleased with the results. Daytime vision is extremely crisp at distance, and night time vision is great even in low light situations such as reading a menu in a restaurant. I am reading a crisp J1 at 12-14 inches and a crisp J2 at 25 inches and beyond. I could not be happier.

Please refer to the threads below for postings where nursept and I were communicating.

http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/EyeCare/messages/608.html

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/EyeCare/messages/675.html

Doctor John is correct in everything he is stating. Search out the best surgeon and weigh your options. I am fortunate that my surgeon here in Pennsylvania is well regarded nationally and considered one of the top cataract surgeons.

Best of luck in your decision and whatever you decide, I hope it works out well for you. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

I have posted before on another thread: "ReZoom Lens - Will It Work with a Patient with Limited Pupil Dilation?" So for history, see my postings there...I am just adding to this thread because it seemed like a better place to do so.   I saw my surgeon today and I suggested that he implant the Restore Lens in my right eye. (This was based on several things I had read on this board as well as my ability to adapt to a variety of situations with my eyes.  I had the ReZoom lens implanted about three weeks ago in my left eye.  I love my distance vision...it is 20-15 but my close (even computer) is still not that great...I have easily adopted to left eye distance dominance but I want a crisper reading ability.  (I used to do monovision with my right eye for distance using a contact lens.) He supports the idea and indicated that some well regarded well known surgeons are doing this same thing.  He told me he would do this, but that I was the first patient that he would be trying this on.  I really trust him.  He has proven to be an outstanding doctor in all ways.  I truly believe this is the solution for me and I am looking forward to Thursday when I will have my next surgery.  I will let you all know how things work out.
Yesterday's visit to my surgeon revealed the following information:  He worked with the ARRAY lens and did clinicals on this lens.  He only uses RESTOR because he has not seen any US or European clinicals regarding REZOOM.  The AMO REZOOM rep detailed him a few weeks ago and did not bring out ANY CLINICALS -even European clinicals  re: the REZOOM lens. The MD said ARRAY worked well  in the beginning for his patients but after the advent of LASIK surg etc. patients' EXPECTATIONS increased and they were no longer satisfied with the results from the ARRAY.  It is this reason he no longer uses the ARRAY lens. He was realistic in telling me intermediate vision . Intermediate -defined as 2-4 feet- is not as clear w/ the RESTOR.  FRom reading some other experiences w/ REZOOM, it sounds like patients' experiences bear this out.  What has been your patients' experiences w/ REZOOM lens   at   2-4 feet distances? If I had my  choice I'd rather have intermed and distance vision and forget the near.  However, I am coming to the conclusion I will need to be realistic and might need correction for this particular distance.  It probably bothers me more than some people because I use intermed vision more than near.  I am concerned, as a nurse and former pharm rep in the lack of clinicals. Thanks
Your surgeon does not use the Array because it is no longer available except for second eyes. In medical devices you can make changes or modifcations without having to go through clinicals. I believe it is called a Tier B. The Array labeling has to be used for the ReZoom due to modification so that would tecnically be a downside. The bottom line is that the ReZoom works and gives you the intermediate and distance, as well as improved near. Surgeons shot for a little hyperopic result with the Array to cut down on halos. With the redistribution of light at night which cuts down on the halo effect with the ReZoom, they can now shoot for plano and the near vision results are better. I think you will hear this from most patients on this board. Your surgeon will probably come around. Everyone likes something new and jumps on the new technology. The Array was yesterdays news and he is probably more hesitant to go to ReZoom because he is basing it on Array. He will find out as others that ReZoom is way better than Array and I think that a Dr. John on this board addresses that as well. You can also get caught up in clinicals. The only way to tell is that if both lenses were studied under the exact conditions and they were not. Plus, the Array clincials were over 7-10 years ago and the surgical procedures have improved as well as the technology to measure the eye and correct astigmatism. If you check near vision with a back lighted card with the ReStor it will perform better than the ReZoom. If you check it in lower light it is vice versa. Surgeons are compiling their data now and there will be a lot more released toward the end of March after the American Society of Cataract and Refrative Surgeons meeting this year where they all present their own studies. I also believe that Dr. John mentioned with the ReZoom, 93% are spectical independent for both distance and intermediate and 81% for near. This is published data. Intermediate vision is meal time(serving, eating), computer use, wristwatch, dashboard gauges and cell phone(caller ID, dialing). I think most surgeons agree it is best for distance and intermediate and the ReStor for near with its higher add power. There is a web site from a Dr. Harvard which has a really neat chart on it that shows the pros and cons of all three lenses which might help.
Eyecu:  Thank you for your response.  Is there any way a non-physician can find out what the studies at your annual meeting are purporting?  I scheduled surg for the end of March but maybe I can postpone it a few weeks into April until I have more information from that meeting.
Hi All.  Had the same dilemma recently in trying to decide between the Rezoom and Restor.  I am 63 and was diagnosed several years ago with cataracts in both eyes and surgery was only a matter of time.  Well the time came in January of 2006.  I had two highly qualified surgeons here in JAX to consider, a DR. S and Dr. C. Dr. C only offered the Crystalens and Restor and Dr. S offered all three, the Crystalens, Restor and Rezoom.  I elected to go with Dr. S who had a great deal of experience and about 30K procedures behind him.  After a through evaluation he recommended the Rezoom based upon my eye condition and lifestyle.  After cataract removal on 1/25/2006, a ReZoom IOL was implanted in left eye.  After surgery, I had some problems with a cornea abrasion and some swelling.  Dr. S took care of the problem promptly with a contact lens cover for a couple of days and appropriate amounts of Cosopt, Nevanac, Pred Forte and Muro 128.  A couple days later, Walla, a miracle, a sight to behold like an eagle to infinity.  Everything out of left eye is clear and the color is so vivid I still hardly believe it.  Intermed vision is excellent and I'm still adjusting to near vision.   Estimated are 6 to 12 weeks for the adjustment period of the IOLs. I now estimate that my vision had deteriorated about 30 percent with the cataracts.  It was like looking at the world through yellow wax paper.  My next surgery is scheduled for 2/15/2006.  I am looking forward to a bright future with my new Rezooms.
Would appreciate some inputs from all, including Dr. John and eyecu on my dilemma:  I've seen two very good surgeons in the Dallas area and they are recommending very different plans. Dr C is recommending the Crystalens in each eye, with a "tweak" to the non dominent eye to possibly improve a vision a little closer (not a mono vision gradient, just a tweak).  Dr T is recommending Restor in Non Dom eye, and Rezoom in Dominent eye.
I had very thorough exams at both places and feel comfortable with both guys, both said I was an excellant candidate.  I was careful to give the same visual activities and desires to both: 50 years old, active driver including night driving, I work at monitor and read most of the day. Definately "NEED" Intermediate and Distant vision for hobbies, would "Like to" get out of Glasses for Reading and closeup hobby work, but willing to concede that with 50 year old eyes, "readers" may be my destiny, and I'm ok with that.  Noticed a couple of other "threaders" had received similar info on the "different lens in each eye" plan, and was wanting feedback on that.  I think the reason DR T recommended the Rezoom in the Dominent eye was that I Needed the Intermediate on that side for sharp focusing on indoor work and outdoor hobbies that need "arms length" sharp focus.  My concerns:  1) Nite driving - neither one of the "R" lenses seem to be rated as good as crystalens for night driving... just how often do halos really cause a problem, and is it predictable by looking at my presurgical eye exams?  2) How well does the mixing of the "R" lenses work?  I understand the binocular concept, but how difficult is it in practice?  With the Rezoom strong on Midrange and weak on Near, and with the Restore Strong on Near and weak on Midrange, it would seem to be a perfect setup, if my head doesn't explode from trying to focus back and forth!!!  Any Ideas, Thoughts, Experience??  Thanks!
Paul, I do not have trouble seeing at night with my rezoom lens.  The hallow effect is very mild in my case.  I do have trouble with my intermediate vision and it has been three weeks, but my distance vision is so very good as well as the wonderful color that I do not mind.  I will be getting the Restor lens in my right eye on Th.  I will let you (and others) know how it goes.  I am really hoping that the Restor will provide the good close vision that my right eye currently gives me.  What the right eye is missing (due to the cataract) is good distance vision and colors look like they are tinted yellow.  BB
I am very interested in your experience w/ 2 different lenses in each eye.  Thanks for posting.
Hope your procedure goes well!  Keep us posted.  Anyone else have thoughts / experience about the "2-brand" Plan?
paulb-There are quite a few surgeons using the combo approach of all three lenses. They are saying that they are getting very good results.  The Rezoom in the dominant eye is the what most recommend for good distance and intermediate and the restor for reading in the non dominant. The ReZoom allows for better distance acuity, reading in low light and intermediate. The Restor for reading in bright light so you have pupil size coming into play depending on lighting to give you the benefits of both lenses. You will find happy patients with all scenarios. I would quiz the surgeon who is recommending the combo and find out how many he has done and see if you can speak with some of his patients that have had this done. The ReZoom does have 20/20, J1 plus for reading in some patients. Some think you should go ahead and have the ReZoom implanted and if you are happy for all distances and not bothered much by halo than have the other nondominant eye implanted with it and you will be fine. If you are not happy with the reading, then get the ReStor in the other eye. What is nice, is the options are available and it sounds like the one surgeon is trying to listen to you and meet your needs. That is what is most important. Trying to meet your needs.
I will definitely let all know how the two lenses work together.  If this board is full, I will post under a new topic that will be something like: restor in one eye and rezoom in the other. BTW eyecu....thanks for the post.  I already had the rezoom implant in my left eye and was supposed to have another rezoom in my right eye.  Since I did not like my close vision with the rezoom I suggested to my doctor that he do the combo.  My brain seems to adjust to either eye for distance and/or reading.  He is an excellent surgeon....with excellent credentials and about 15000 cataract surgeries performed...(we get a lot of those here in Florida).  I will be his first patient to do a combo, he told me that immediately.  I know he would not do this if he did not feel he could or should do it.  He knows me and he implants both rezoom and restor lenses...just never on the same patient.  I have total confidence in him and he has worked with me on this whole thing all the way since day 1.  More Friday or Saturday...bb
To bjbinfl - Just curious to know if your surgeon is Dr S in JAX. Just learned today when I had my final meaurements for a ReZoom that he was preforming his first ReZoom/Restor combo tomorrow.
Thanks for the thoughts.... so if I understand, to get the Rezoom done first, I would have to do that in the Dominent eye. Then If I'm ok with the reading, I could do the NonDom with Rezoom, and if I wanted a better Reader, I could try the Restore?  After reading several boards, I'm "put off" a little by the Restore anecdotal stories... the mid range blurring and an occasional report of "wax film" at distance worry me, and the nightime halos are a major fear for me, since at 50 I still do quite a bit of nite driving.

But I haven't read anything pro or con about the binocular adjustment problems of using Rezoom and Restore... seriously, would that be an easy adjustment??  With Restore being Strong at 12" and not so good at 24, and vice versa for Rezoom, am I setting myself up for Frustration or should this be easy as blinking?
PS... I'm definately going to call the surgeon tomorrow for a list of people who have done the R/R combo!  Thanks
Not Dr. S in Jax...I had surgery today.  My eyes are still dialated, so I cannot report anything right now.  Surgery went well though...more later.  bb
paulb-it looks like bjbnfl is going to give you a first hand experience on the combo.There are two theories. Put the same lens in both eyes for a stereo effect. The other theory is that if you put a lens in an eye and the patient complains of halos than if you put another one in it compounds that effect. If you put two different systems in than it offsets and you don't have the problems.One well respected surgeon says to implant the Rezoom in the first eye, if the patient likes it implant it in the second eye, if he has halos than implant a Tecnis monofocal in the second eye, if he wants better near implant a Restor. There are just so many opinions. I know a few surgeons that have Arrays themselves and they implanted alot of Array lens because they could explain and relate to the patient. But most surgeons have to go by results and listening to what patients tell them and describe to them as this board does to form opinions. It is exciting yet confusing. This is what I will say, the ReZoom is great for distance and intermediate. It can also provide good near vision. Not as good as the ReStor maybe because it has a 3.5 diopter add and the Restor a 4 diopter add. You have trade offs in life. If you want to read better, than you give up some distance acuity. The Crystalens had great distance but you give up near. Technology is advancing to try to mimic the crystalline lens and will get better. But the technology today is excellent and has brought youth back to many people. With a monofocal lens, the outcome is presbyopia. YOu will love the colors and be happier and have great distance and even some intermediate and will notice a great improvement over your vision with a cataract as you have had a gradual deterioration of vision over time until it gets to a point that it bothers you. When you have surgery, the vision is so much better you wonder why you waited so long. The retrospective quality of life studies report that patients are happier with multifocal lenses because they mimic normal vision. They are willing to deal with a few visual disturbances such as halo that diminish over time as you adjust. These are really only at night as the pupil enlarges and have to do with ligthing conditions.But they say, hey I can deal with that for what I get during the day. There are some patients who cannot seem to deal with it but it is a low percentage. They end up with lens exchange. But there are even patients who once they have had the exchange want to go back to the multifocal. It is up to the surgeon to explain and deal with that and that is why it costs more becaase they have to spend more time with you both  pre-op and post-op. It comes down to patient education prior to surgery which puts you ahead of the game because you are trying to get the answers now instead of jumping into it. I personally would opt for a multifocal lens becuase I want to have pseudo accomodating vision like when I was in my 30's and have a chance not to have to wear readers if I forgot to bring them to the restaurant. I want the freedom. But, if I was used to wearing glasses all my life, then that would not be the case. SO you can see all of the factors involved in the decision. The surgeons that have used the Array and do lasik and are refractive surgeons have more experience than the ones that just came on board. They are ahead of the game. They also might be hesitant to jump on ReZoom because they think it is about the same as Array so they try something else for a while and then realize that it is not perfect as well and then try ReZoom and find out that it is better than they thought. They then try mixing technologies and find out that works pretty good as well. The bottom line is what are you looking for, what is your occcupation and hobbies and what are you trying to obtain. If you both go in with a postive outlook and try to achieve that outcome to meet your needs, and he or she hits the refractive goals and accuracy, you will be very happy. Sorry for being so verbose. I feel you are just lucky to have more options today to find what you want.
It has been less than 24 hours since my surgery.  I had a check at the Doctor's office this morning.  With the Rezoom in the left eye I have 20/15 (brightly colored vision) and with the newly implanted Restor in my right eye, I can read J2 with the right eye alone and J1 with both eyes working together.  If I shut my left eye and look off in the distance, my vision is not that great with the right eye Restor but with both eyes open, I have no problem. I am using the computer with my flat screen monitor about two feet away and I can see the small writing with both eyes working togehter or seperately.  My Doctor feels that the Restor distance vision will improve over time but will never be as good as the eye with the Rezoom.  I am amazed that I can see close so well so fast because of the Restor.  I am curious and I ask the Doctors on this thread, how is the intermediate (1-2) feet vision with a regular lens implant?  

I would never want to give up the crisp wonderful distance vision I have with the Rezoom.  So far, I believe that I have made the right choice.  BB
BB
Glad to hear your operation was a success and you're pleased with the R/R combo!!  Sounds like you are having NO problem with the "brain control" of complimentary focusing from near to intermediate (left to right eye or right to left eye).   I'm thinking of Rezoom in the Dom eye and Restore in the NonDom eye, and my ability to accomodate the "switching" at near and intermediate is the big fear.  Your results are giving me more faith / courage!!  Let us know how you're progressing!  PB
PS... sorry to be slow on the vocabulary, but what exactly is J1 and J2 ???
the chart that the doctors use for reading has those numbers...J1 is the standard for normal reading.  I will keep you updated..bb
Thanks for in-depth explanation posted on 2/10/06 of the various options now available.  I asked my surgeon about a ReZoom/Restor combo in my case after doing other research and and reading recent threads.  He recommended based on my lifestyle and station in life that I stay with a ReZoom/ReZoom.  He offers all three of the IOLs as options to his patients but likes the results of the ReZooms for us mature folk that are 60+. Overall, I got the impression he favors the ReZoom over ReStor. My first ReZoom in L/E was done on 1/25/2006 and my vision continues to improve at intermediate and close.  Distance vision is spectacular with clarity and color I haven't experienced in years.  The IOL was a ReZoom Model NXG1, Diopter 19.5D, SN 4109700512.  I am scheduled for surgery on the R/E (My Dominate) on 2/15/2006 where a ReZoom Diopter 19.0 will take the place of an old cloudy cataract.  Will let all know how things are going by the end of the week.
Update:  My distance vision still has not shown much improvement, (but only three days).  However, my eyes are really working well together with the left Rezoom and the right Restor.  The only way I can tell that the right eye does not see distance is when I shut the left eye, otherwise, I can see distance just fine as if I were using both eyes to see.  I can see well at all distances.  I only require glasses if I want to do close intense work like sewing.  BB

I just wonder how this compares to monovision.  Anyone know?
Wow, this is such an interesting thread.  I have Crystalens in both eyes since end of last year.  Although I have developed floaters in one eye which blur my vision alot, my distance and intermediate vision is very good.  Reading is coming along ok when the floater floats out of view.  

I can really identify with the person who mentioned the intense colors.  I also am amazed at the bright white!  I thought the entire world was sepia colored! I really had no idea that the cataract had "yellowed" my vision so much.
This is an interesting dialog as I had the Rezoom IOL installed in my left, non-dominant eye only three days ago and am scheduled to have the other eye done with a Rezoom lens in 11 days.  I see very well to drive and am typing this without reading glasses.  But I am a 64 year old high myope person in both eyes (-9 diopters left and - 10 right), and I am using a contact lens in my right eye for distance. With both I am able to read the computer screen and newspaper without reading glasses.  But if I shut my right eye, the screen blurs for a while before the eye focuses enough to read but not sharply.  This is bothersome to me and a concern.

So I am still open as to how well my left eye Rezoom is working near and intermediate because of this.  The doctor in my post-op exam 2 days ago said to give it a few days to adjust and I am.  The idea of having a Restor lens in my right eye to improve near vision is intriguing, but it seems distance suffers.  I play a lot of tennis and do a lot of hiking where I want good distance vision, and as a monovision contact lens user, I know that does not work for tennis.  So unless I hear differently, I sense that another Rezoom lens in my dominant eye, as recommended by my doctor for high myopes like me, is right.  Agree or disagree?  Stay with Rezoom on Feb. 24 or not?
I agree with your doctor and you should carefully consider his advise and recommendations. I am having my second ReZoom done tomorrow in my R/E after considering all the options in consultation with my surgeon.  Also, remember that you just had mircosurgery in you eye several days ago where they cut the side of the cornea, stuck a surgical instrument in the side of your eye, blasted the cataract away with ultrasound, irrigated the sac, sucked out all the remains of the cataract, inserted a folded lens, centered it and patched you up.  In addition, I'm sure you surgeon has you on various meds such as for pain, swelling and other things associated with cataract surgery. All of these meds also affect your close and intermediate vision. Your eye(s) will take a period of time to heal, recover and adjust.  Following is an excerpt from the ReZoom brochure."

" Q: Does the ReZoom Multifocal lens require and adjustment period?
  A:  Yes. For most people there is a period of weeks when you brain is learning to "see" up close and at a distance with the new lens. The adjustment period is usually complete within 6 to 12 weeks,  Also, like all multifocal lenses, some people report halos or glare around lights.  Again, for most people this diminishes over time.  For some, it becomes less troublesome but never completely go away.  Most people report that the ability to see near and far outweighs any and visual side effects associated with the lens."

Give it some time philz and I'm sure things will work out. I'm also your age and play golf, tennis and want the best vision possible at my station in life.  Will let all know how the next surgery goes by the end of the week.

I definitely recommend ReZoom over ReSTOR for your second eye based upon your activities. Intermediate (computer) is important to you and certainly for tennis ReZoom will give you much better distance vision than ReSTOR. Let us know!