Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Scleral Buckle and Post Op Vision Changes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had Scleral Buckle surgery on my right eye on 2/14/07 (it's now 5/11/07.  I am waiting patiently to be able to correct my vision in my right eye so it matches my left eye.
Soon after the surgery I started to see the capillaries in the center of my eye appear for an instant when I blink.  Doc ways this is nothing to worry about.  I had my follow up 4 days ago and Doc says everything looks good.  The next day I started to see spots (I'll call them "freckles") in my right eye when I blink, but like the outline of the capillaries, they also disappear within a second.  I also see "sparkles" when my right eye is closed.  Very faint, but they are there.  I am assuming this is just part of the healing process, but thought I would ask.  I have complete vision in my right eye, it's just extremely blurry.
'started to see the capillaries in the center of my eye appear for an instant when I blink.'

'in my right eye when I blink, but like the outline of the capillaries, they also disappear within a second.'

this is called the 'troxlar effect' and is no big deal.  it will likely go away once that eye is 'corrected' with glasses or contacts or whatever.  

i'm not too worried about the 'sparkles' either, as long as your surgeon says everything is fine.
I might add that the "freckles" are clustered in the center of my eye at the end of the capillaries.  They are not "floaters".
What about the clusters of "freckles" or black spots?  Are these also normal?
none of that sounds emergent to me, especially if the surgeon already knows about it.