Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Seing floaters, bright spots, stars

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Seing floaters, bright spots, stars

For starters, I am a 26yo male with nearsightedness and mild astigmatism in both eyes and wear contact lenses for correction.  

All my life I have had floaters to a certain extent.  Over the past few years the floaters have increased and I started to have brief episodes of seeing stars, sometimes in one eye or the other, and sometimes in both simultaneously.  The episodes are usually related to quick movement and last under a minute.  I also tend to see bright spots very similar to seeing stars, but on a smaller scale when I'm looking at something bright or very white, like when I'm looking into the sky or at a bright white computer monitor.

I have seen an ophthalmologist and been assured that the floaters are nothing to worry about since the retinas appear to be in perfect health in both eyes and the bright spots are most likely related.  The stars are also something I've been told to not worry about by my primary care physician as well as the ophthalmologist.  

I suppose I'm just looking for reassurance that these are nothing that I need to worry about or if there is something else I should be doing to have this checked out further.  And I probably know the answer already, but the floaters can be very distracting...there is nothing that can be done about them, correct?

Thanks!
Floaters are very common and usually nothing to worry about nor are the stars.  It is difficult to ignore them in the beginning but after awhile, when you are relaxed they won't be nearly as noticeable.  Believe in your doctors.
Jamiep. Though vitreous detachment usually doesn't occur till aged over 50 years I would recommend that you do a Google search for it and learn a lot about it. Vitreous detachment can lead to retinal detachment which needs to be treated EARLY.

Here's one ref -

http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/vitreous/index.asp
You might want to check some of your symptoms with others at http://www.visualsnow.com
hello, the sopts you are seeing, do they resemble sparks twirling and spinning leaving a small smoke trail behind them?
i also saw these on quick/sharp movements, ie: sneeze, turn head quick etc. i could also provoke them by turning my head far to the side as it to see my back. i went to the chiropractor and got my neck and back adjusted and have not have any problems since. i guess it was due to lack of blood flow to my head.