Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Severe Farsightedness

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Severe Farsightedness

I'm farsighted, my original perscription was +3.25 L and 3.50 R, these where perfectly fine up until last christmas when my eyesight got worse, the opticion did a eyetest with eye drops to find out my real perscription and turned out at around +5.50.

They said they would not make the glasses this strong due to it being to much for me and so it turned out he made me a modified pair that was +2.00, I can no longer do up close stuff anymore and I get frequent eyestrain everyday now.

Is there anything I can do?, this is really getting me down not being able to do anything, im tired of straining my eyes.

Will my perscription settle down one day?.

Thankyou for any advice.

Ellis.
latent hyperopia.  very common.  your "real" rx is much more than any rx you've ever worn.

the part that confuses me is why they rx'd you +2.00.  they may have had excellent reasons for doing that.  i dont know b/c i havent seen you.  but i will tell you that it is RARE to REDUCE plus power in a known latent hyperope like yourself.  VERY RARE.  the vast majority of the time we either keep the Rx that SAME or we bump you guys UP in rx.  never down.  but like i said they may have had a great reason for doing that, who knows?

will your rx "settle down" someday?  yes.  at about age 65.  until then you'll likely be in various states of fluctuating vision.

if you are having frequent eyestrain, you should go back and get some other rx.  like i said earlier...probably MORE rx, not less.  so either back up to +3.25 and +3.50 or *MORE* than that.  the +2.00 is a little baffling.

Thankyou for your advice.

Ellis.
Are you 45 years old? That would be helpful to know so as to make a better recommendation for you
Ellis45~

I have a similar situation as you do.  I am 30 yrs old and have been farshighted and have a lazy eye (left) since a very young age.  I stopped wearing glasses/contacts from about the age of 19-29 and just started up again last year when I was 29.  I did not remember my Rx from when I was younger so when I went to the optometrist he only started me at +.75 & +1.25.  At first these were great, but after a few months things started to worsen again so I went back again and again and again.  We eventually got me up to +3.0 in each eye, but these were extremely uncomfortable.  I recently went to another optometrist and opthamologist for a second opinion.  This time they dilated my eyes in order to relax them and then tested my Rx.  It turns out I am actually a +4.0, but they said that Rx would be too much for me and they recommended +3.0 w/ a pair of +1.0 reading glasses on top.  I am still having problems w/ concentrating (which is my main concern).  It is not so much the vision thing, but constantly feeling of light headedness or something from straining my eyes or not having correct Rx.  Just wanted to see if you have any of these symptoms as well.  I have extremely hard time concentrating on what I read.