Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Severe headache, broken vessels in eye, and eye pain
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Severe headache, broken vessels in eye, and eye pain

I sometimes have a severe headache that begins with pain just above my eyebrow.  The headache is so severe that I have to lie down, and I always fall asleep. These headaches are only on one side of my head or the other - never both sides at the same time.  When I awake, the blood vessels in my eye are broken and it is very painful just to move my eye or touch my eye.  The pain and the redness subside after about a week. I have had five of these headaches over the last 18 months or so.  I had surgery to determine if I had temporal arteritis (on both temples), but the results were negative. None of my doctors can tell me the cause of these headaches. I am a 59 year old female with a history of hypothyroidism (am taking Synthroid), breast cancer, and hypoparathyroidism (am taking Hectorol). Can you help?