Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Sharp pain in outside corner of left eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have for several months experienced a sharp pain in theoutside corner of my left eye.  It is very intense, but extremely brief.  It usually does not feel sore afterwards, maybe a little.  I can't say that it comes after exertion, although tonight I felt it after coming home from the gym - 30 min. of fairly intense aerobic exercise.  However, I've had it to occur at the office.  It seems - I have this impression - that it occurs when I turn my head or body to the right.  I wear contacts, but this is not related to the normal problems.  It is feels like it is in my eyeball.

I have been measured on occasion with high blood pressure, but generally told that I don't have a problem.  (Usually it occurs on stressful days.)  I have been told that my heart is clean - I had a radioactive/treadmill scan.  I have some history of heart disease/stroke in my family - my father, who died of a stroke/heart atttack (#3 or 4) at 68 in 1988.  However, I eat and exercise much better than my father.

could be a number of things.  you mention high blood pressure, but vascular events dont usually cause RECURRENT, SHARP pain w/o other side effects like vision loss.

my vote is possible recurrent corneal erosion (RCE), which would make sense with your description.  next time it occurs, have an immediate eye exam with staining to see if you have epithelial loss.  if it were RCE, its an annoying condition, but not at all dangerous.
I have also been experiencing a sharp stabbing pain in the outside corner of my left eye. I notice it occurs when I am having animated conversation with someone, when I'm nodding or turn my head suddenly. I am a 49 yr old asian female and work out 3xs/week with  minimum of 50 min aerobic activity each workout session for the past year. The stabbing pain began in the last six months and has occurred about six times. I have had laser eye surgery in both eyes  in 2003. The pain comes on suddenly, then disappears as quickly as it came on. I am scheduled for another laser surgery in that same eye to correct for nearsightedness and I'm concerned if the surgery will affect this condition.
A related discussion, whats pet name was started.
A related discussion, Eye Pain was started.