Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Small black specks in vision
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Small black specks in vision

Hi. About 6 years ago, when I was 18, I was getting out of the shower when I noticed what looked like 2 little gnats flying around near the corner of my left eye. When I turned to swat at them, I noticed it was actually IN my vision. Everytime I moved my pupils, the "gnats" followed my eye movement. I first noticed them as small little black specks. Then I began to notice it in my right eye as almost clear specks. I saw my eye doctor, who called them "floaters" and did an evaluation. He didn't see anything abnormal. But he didn't tell me what they were caused by. I have since noticed a couple more. I rarely notice them, but when I am in daylight or a brightly lit room, that's when I notice they're there. I have astigmatism and wear soft contacts. I've since been to several eye doctors for check-ups, since I've been near-sighted since junior high. And no one has ever given me an answer to what these are or why they came around. Is there any way to get rid of them? Will I get more over time?