Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Small white lump on the white of the eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Today, I noticed a small white (ish) lump in the white part of my husband's left eye which was only noticable when he moved his eye to the right.

As he obviously cannot see it himself in a mirror I took some close up photos of it and used the crop facility to show him.

He seems unconcerned but I am worried it might be a cyst.  Or maybe a cataract but I thought a cataract would be like a film rather than a lump.

Any advice please.
its not a cataract.  a cataract is inside of your eye and generally cannot be seen or photographed from the outside except with the use of special equipment.

its probably a pinguecula:

http://www.opt.indiana.edu/v543/bc/docs/phys1b.html

please only look at the top image in that link.  the bottom image is of a type of cataract, which does not apply in this case.

if this is what your husband's bubble looks like, he's right its no big deal.

a pinguecula is a clear-to-yellow lesion on the surface of the bulbar conjunctiva, usually from long term UV exposure.  it is not cancerous, it is not dangerous.  it can be surgically removed if:

1) it is cosmetically bothersome
2) if it is causing foreign body sensation (feels liks something is in there)
3) if it grows over onto the cornea and impedes or affects vision.  if this is the case, we no longer call it a 'pinguecula', we start calling it a 'pterygium':

http://www.images.md/users/Image_visitor.asp?ID=ATOPH01-03-22-002A&chapID=ATOPH01%2D03%2D22&fp=2&tf=23&showstyle=1&pagesize=12&contribid=

regardless, your husband needs an eye examination from an optometrist (if he wants to find out what it is) or an ophthalmologist (if he knows he wants it removed)
1 Comment
Many thanks for your clear and precise description.  I am quite sure now, particularly after seeing the attached url with the photo of same, which matches identically the lesion in my husband's eye, that it is a pinquecula as you suggest, especially as he is an ardent sunbather.  (Over many years I have struggled to get him to use suncreams, he sun-bathes until he is burnt, then sheds skin for weeks! - and does not wear sunglasses a lot of the time.)

I will endeavour to get him to see an optometrist at the very least.

Thank you again for your advice.

A related discussion, lump on the white of my eye was started.