Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Some questions related to eye problems

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Some questions related to eye problems

There are some questions I’d like to ask: Please answer indicated each question and answer it (if possible).

1) I am seeing flashing (sparkling) dots or pixels on the computer screen ( blue colored desktop). I see more of these dots when staring and turning my eyes to the right. I don’t know what is my eye problem. Is it a warning sign of retinal detachment or retinal tears?

2) I also see flashing white dots on the walls and when reading books. Sometimes I see a bit/tiny bigger white dot. Same symptom ?

3) I see everything okay when going outside except when I look at the blue sky- I see thousands of blinking white dots and some floaters. Don’t know why.

4) What are the chance of Retinal Detachment, tears when my myopia is -7.5, -7.0. I am asking for the probability of it.

5) How do you convert from degree of diopter (-7.5) to vision acuity (20/70,20/100,20/200,etc).

6) I got a new glass but not wearing because I can see when reading. Is it the cause of seeing white dots?

7) How can you describe exactly flashing light (flashes) and floaters when Retinal detachment/tears happen?

8) If any symptom you think I'm suffering from. Could you please describe it as simple as you can and its treatment?

9) I sometimes/very seldom have a left side headache not too severe. Is the cause of flashing white dots?

10) Does floaters only appear and fade over time or can be seen when moving the eyes?

11) Seeing big black spot on the walls when eyes turn left.

12) Is it safe to put rinsed warm washcloth over the closed eyes AND practice eye exercises progrm?

probably not

possibly.  i think you're probably referring to this:

http://www.eye-floaters.com/entopicphenom.php

see link above.  so far these all sound like the same "problem".

no one has any idea.  its more complicated than just assigning a probability to a diopter range.  thats impossible.  so many factors go in...physiology of individual retina, etc.

most eye docs dont assign an acuity over 20/400.  if you're worse than 20/400 then we just dont bother.  -7.50 is way worset ahn 20/400.  20/2000?  who knows?  not functional vision.

no

different for every person... BUT!  its usually a large flash like a camera flash.  not a "tiny dot" or "spot", etc.  and the biggest point is it happens under ALL CONDITIONS.  anyone who tells me "i see a flash when i move my eyes a certain way" or "i see light whe n i'm looking at the computer screen", or "i see flashes when i'm in total darkness" or "i see a flash when i'm staring at a white wall", etc etc ad nauseum...those are not flashes.  a true flash happens repeatedly in the exact same spot and is uncontrollable.  it happens when your eye is closed or open, it happens no matter which direction you're looking or what you're looking at, etc etc

so far i think you're fine

no

both

no big deal

yes.  bot i personally dont think it will help much with any of the symptoms you have described.
Thank you very much
Another question. How do I get rid of the flashing dots on the screen or walls or reading a book? Does nutrition help?
if its an entopic phenomenon there is no way to get rid of them.  you just have to learn to ignore them.

no, nutrition does not help
But why do I get the entopic phenomenon? What is the migraine ? What cause the inflammation of the eyes ?
dont know.  sorry!
kindachi,

If you're concerned, see an ophthalmologist or retina specialist in your area ASAP.
kindachi:

I have the same sympthoms has you:

- Couple of Floaters, only visible in some conditions (outside, in a light room or in front of a computer);

- see some small sparks of light, but sometimes and randomly. For example yesterday I was great, today I saw them sometimes. No big flash, only some tiny light and in different locations

- outside the enthropic phenomenon. Always... but sometimes more visible than other. Sometimes really intense... someother almost not visible.

- also the dark dot sometimes shows up.

I have seen the doctor, did tests and they said my vision was close to perfect.

Is it because sometimes of the day, or some days we are more tense or more stressed? Could it be related to much use of computers? 10 to 12 hours a day?