Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Sparks when looking sideways
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sparks when looking sideways

Dear Doctor,

I started having one floater in my right eye since I was a child but I would only notice it very rarely.  Since two months ago I have been seeing it all the times.  When I close my eyes and look all the way to the left or right I would also see a "spark of light" that disappear right away.

If I open the curtain in a completely dark room to look outside when it is very bright, and then I close the curtain again, I would see lights flashing for almost 5 seconds in the darkness.

I had an eye exam with an ophamologist in Jan this year, and another one with an optometrist in July this year.  Both of them said that my eyes are okay and I only have floaters.

Should I be concern and get another eye exam?  If yes, should I see an optometrist or an ophamologist?

Thank you very much for your help.

Wun
Related Discussions
everyone has floaters.  no big deal.

"When I close my eyes and look all the way to the left or right I would also see a "spark of light" that disappear right away."

pressure phosphene.  totally benign.

"If I open the curtain in a completely dark room to look outside when it is very bright, and then I close the curtain again, I would see lights flashing for almost 5 seconds in the darkness."

photostress.  again, totally benign.

no, you do  not need another eye exam if those are your only 3 complaints.  all 3 of those are totally normal and completely benign, and totally unfixable.
3 Comments
Blank
Thanks so much for your response Doctor.
Blank
Hi wun:

I saw you had noted floaters...if they're very noticeable like mine, obviously it's a problem.  I'm not sure why doctors are minimizing or poo-pooing those who have large, dark, numerous floaters that disrupt vision.  It's not that some people are more prone to complain about them than others:  it's that some people have worse cases of floaters than the rest of the population that have so few as to never notice.

I recommend downloading a program called the Floater Simulator. It is DEAD ON accurate. It even simulates the strange starbursts and "boiling" lights some people in this group have described.

You can download it at:
http://www.floatershell.com/
Blank
Hi cackleberry, thanks for your message.  I just read it, and am glad that someone understands how frustrating it is to live with floaters!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank