Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Spots / blobs of colour in vision (not floaters)

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hi ive had odd eye symptoms for a couple of years, the only eye exams ive had are normal optician ones but they all say my vision is good. I seem to get random spots of colour in my vision, independant in each eye usually around center of vision, they can last anywhere between 2mins to hours and hours, they do not move, and are usually a light yellow, or a vivid bluey colour. I suffer from Classic migraines occasionally and it is nothing like that. The only thing i can think of is if you get up too fast you sometimes see like random bits and bobs of colours ( or i do :) ), its like those type things but lasts.
that is called "ocular migraine" and even though you think it is not related to your other classic migraines, it is.  it is a "migraine" of your ocular/periocular blood vasculature, whereas your true headache migraines are "migraines" of your brain/head vasculature.

any light/color perception that is not a "flash" or a "floater" has to be a vascular event.  there is not another plausable explanation.  especialy when you tell me:

1) you already have a diagnosis of migraines
2) they go away on their own in min or hours
3) you see well and have never had vision loss

thats a migraine.  even w/o head pain, and even tho it appears different than what you experience when you have a classic/head pain migraine.
But literally, i can have them come and go completely or different ones throughout the day, and is it possible to have migraines pretty much 24/7? And if so how do i stop them, i was on beta blockers for another purpose but they didnt help the problem i describe, if anything they made it worse because id have a real problem just after i stood up xD.
yes its possible that have migraines pretty much 24/7.  in fact based on the symptoms you describe, thats probably exactly whats happenning.
Is it dangerous? And how can i stop them, no one really acknowledges what i tell them doc / opti.
um, you may not be able to stop them.  but if you did it would be on some oral beta blocker or constant blood-pressure regulating drug.
My BP is good, usually 120/80 MAX im only 20...
it makes little difference what your blood pressure is.  high, low...doesnt matter.  age doesnt matter much, either.  thats how we preventatively treat migraines...with BP meds.  it has to do with the effect that BP meds have on peripheral vasculature, which is exactly what a migraine is...a peripheral vasculature problem.
Ok thanks for the advice, maybe ill start the beta blockers again, i just got a little concerned when i was taking them because my HR would drop to 50.
A related discussion, eye colors was started.
A related discussion, coloured spots in vision was started.