Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Strange light phenomenon perceived by right eye
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Strange light phenomenon perceived by right eye

I am a 57 year old woman in robust health but have not had an eye checkup in years.

My right eye suddenly developed a strange light phenomenon where I seemed to see silvery blue light shimmering in an arc from left to right in the upper field of my vision, which would persist even after I closed my eyes. Wearing sunglasses helped diminish the problem. I had been working on my latop for a couple of hours before this happened, and have never experienced something like this before.

I've had my eye closed for ten minutes now, and the specks and shimmering have finally gone.

Could you please advise as to what this could be, and whether I need to go get it checked?