Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Styes or Chalazia?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Styes or Chalazia?

My daughter got a lump under the upper eyelid, like a stye but it was in the center of the eyelid, not close to the lashes.  It was not raised, but her eyelid was swollen slightly and a little painful.  Then it went away.  Maybe a week later, she got a stye-like bump on her lower lid.  That went away.  Then she got another bump under her OTHER upper eyelid, then lower, then the other eyelid and back again.  This has gone on for 2 months.

The doc said styes don't usually spread from one eye to another.  He prescribed eye drops and her eyes were fine for a week or so, but now she has another one.

Is something going on besides styes or chelazia (I looked this one up on the web)?  Should I be concerned?  Should I take her to an eye doc to see what they say?
I had the same problem and it took 5 years to get diagnosed correctly.  An eye surgeon told me I had Acne Rosacia and these were chalazions.  I had already gone through about 5 lancings and had severe scarring on my back and a few on my face from cysts.  He put me on tetracycline and I have never had one since.
I have have this skin toned bump on my upper middle eyelid for many months now. perhaps even close to 6 months maybe? I am a 28 yaer old female who is not prone to styes, although I may have had one in my lifetime. I read about Chalazia and am wondering-hoping-that this is what it is. It is no bigger than the lead tip of a pencil. It doesn't seem to change size, and it doesn't really cause me pain. I'm just nervous because I was hoping this wasn't skin cancer or something like that. i do wear heavy upper eyeliner and i wear mascara. I have worn these every day since I have been 18 years old. What should I do? Has anyone heard of if lasting 6 months is ok? Can I try to pop it myself? I think I tried to pop it back when i noticed it and it didn't seem like it wanted to burst.
LG42
Do not try to pop it yourself. If you are not seeing an ophthalmologist, do so. Either a general ophthalmologist or an oculoplastic ophthalmologist that sub-specializes in eyelids and the external eye area. Not an optometris, but an ophthalmologist. Have you tried warm compresses on it for 4 times a day? Sometimes this will help.