Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Sudden Blurry Vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sudden Blurry Vision

I am a 40 year old healthy woman.  While watching tv last night, my vision suddenly became blurry in both eyes- almost as if someone turned on/off a switch.  The onset of blurriness was that sudden and pronounced.  It lasted for about 15 minutes.  The blurriness eventually subsided but my vision did not come back as sharp or as clear.  I noticed that both pupils were very constricted, like tiny pin points.  This has never happened to me before.  I didn't experience any kind of warning via pressure nor pain.  But I am really concerned because the blurriness was really severe, I could hardly see 2 feet in front of me.  I would appreciate any feedback.  Thank you.
multiple possibilities (in no particular order):

* vascular event like migraine (EVEN IF YOU DID NOT EXPERIENCE HEAD/EYE PAIN).  difficult to diagnose, would likely be a diagnosis of exclusion

* transient ischemic attack.  would need blood pressure testing and carotid artery scan as well as other tests

* emerging presbyopia/accomodative infacility. would need an eye exam to diagnose/manage

* retinal problems (unlikely IMO)

you probably need an eye exam, and possibly need a physical
1 Comment
I suddenly noticed that my eyesight was blurry and it has not dissapeared in the last few days. In the past, when this happened I was told that I had dry eye and had to use Refresh lubricant eye drops and gel at nighttime.  It did not get better so I was told to take a perscription medication that a lot of side effects.  It went away on its own and not a few years later it is back.  Any ideas?
I also see flashing lights going across my vision but this is only occasionally and then it goes away.  It is sometimes in only one eye too.  no pain or disconfort.  I do get frequent migraines and thought maybe it was related to them but with no pain it baffled me.
A related discussion, once in a while I get blurriness in the eye was started.