Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Sudden "cross-eyed" Vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sudden "cross-eyed" Vision

Yesterday, I had a sudden onset of unclear vision that reminded me of when you cross your eyes. I had no control of it, and could only see, somewhat correctly, if I covered up either eye, one at a time. It wasnt necessarily blurred vision-it was more like my eyes werent acting in sync and therefore were sending wierd signals to my brain. I couldnt "see striaght". I went to the ladies room, covering one eye to walk, and then stared into the mirror and after 5 minutes or so, things were better. I never actually saw that my eyes were crossed. There was no pain. It hasnt happened again since yesterday but I am concerned it may be a symptom of a more serious problem. Could it have been a fluke nerve twitch, similar to a random leg cramp or something? I am otherwise healthy (22 yr old F) though did have a Lasik eye procedure done 5 years ago-which has "wore off" and I now wear glasses. Thank you or any help at all.
sounds like a possible 'phoria' or 'dissociated phoria'.  also could be temporary low blood pressure (postural hypotension) or a myriad of other things.

ONE isolated event like this is an otherwise healthy female does not concern me in the slightest.  if you start having REPEATED events, then it'll be time for an eye exam.
You could consider migraines which can cause strange visual symptoms even without a headache present. If it happens again see an eye doctor who may refer you to a neurologists for a migraine work up. I get this sometimes and I was told it is a migraine headache by GP.