Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Sudden visual impairment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sudden visual impairment

I'm 33 yrs. old and have never suffered an eye injury, and I haven't had any recent head trauma, yet my left eye has developed a spot within my field of view.  I now have a tented transparent "floater" in my eye.  I've had floaters all my life, but none of them are blocking my vision until now.  The spot gives the illusion of a camera flash.  Also, since the spot is so close to the center of my vision, my vision in that eye is slightly darker than the other, causing my depth persception to be skewed.  But only where the spot is.  Around the outer edges of my vision everything seems fine.  If I blink rapidly, I can clearly see this "floater".  Now I do work with computers, and I'm on them 12hrs. a day.  I find the lower the brightness the better.

This is freaking me out because I'm one month from health insurance (just got a new job), and I need to know can I wait one month, or is this serious enough to need medical attention now.  I'm not going blind, am I?

Any help/advice would greatly appreciated.

macdaddynyc
NO you cannot wait a month.  you need an eye exam right now.  you cant even wait a few days.  this might be no big deal, but it could very well be an impending retinal detachment.  go today right now and get an eye exam.  doesnt matter if you have not had head or eye injury.

anyone with central vision loss or "flashes" or "dim" vision...those can be ominus signs.  if you are having a retinal detachment, time is of the essence.

i am not trying to scare you, but what you describe could be serious.
if you are in NYC, go to the SUNY Optometry clinic on 42nd street.  thats what i'd do.
Thanks for the advice, I made an appointment this morning at SUNY, helpfully this is nothing to serious.

macdaddynyc
let me know what they say, please!  i know a bunch of those guys (the doctors, not the students)