Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Swollen eye/s

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Swollen eye/s

I have had the same problems for a couple of years now. I wake up in the morning and suddenly have one (rarely two) extremely swollen eye. It feels like pressure behind my eye and by the end of the day, the swelling typically goes down. I also have days where my vision is blurred but feels like from behind my eyes. I've been to many doctors. I definitely do not have vision problems - that has been confirmed. I had a catscan and a recent ENT doctor said I would need surgery on my sinuses. I was nervous about trusting him as he seemed surgery happy. He could not guarantee the surgery would solve the problem. Any thoughts? I also had an allergy test which said I had no allergies. I am so frustrated - every doctor acts like they have never heard of this problem.
so tough.  dont know.  certainly sounds like a possible sinus problem or allergy or something.

have you had blood testing for inflammatory/autoimmune disease?  or thyroid?

i dont know.  you need yet more testing and doctors.  you need a second (or third or 4th) opinion i guess
It is amazing to read that you have exactly the same eye "problem" as I have. Since November last year I have been visiting several doctors and have done some tests like an allergy test. X-ray photo's have been taken to see if any problems with my sinusses, but all seems normal.
I am still looking for solutions but no one seems to be able to help me. I haven't wore any contact lenses since November last year as I thought that this might have caused the problem. I have to admit that the my eyes are less swollen but the problem still remains. Please keep me posted via this forum. I really want to know what the problem is (and get rid of my glases as well)
thanks! from the Netherlands
About two weeks ago I woke up with a right swollen eye. To my knowledge I didn't use anything different, eat anything different. Waited one day and went to the Dr.s and was given a prescriptions for steroids to take for about a week, slowly decreasing the amount as the week went on. Also looked like I might have had a problem in right ear and right nostril. I'm still on anti-biotics. Then, yesterday I woke up with the eye swollen again. Went to the Dr.s and all they can tell me is that they thing it's an allergy. I look pretty gross - makes it hard to work and have people 'looking' at me. I'm at a loss, don't know what to do now....frustrating.
The symptoms mentioned here sound similar to what I have had off an on for about 8 years.  It was finally diagnosed as orbital pseudotumor http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001623.htm).

It starts out with swollen eyes when you wake up in the morning and then the massive sinus-like pain develops and even double vision.  I've been dealing with this disorder for many years and it is quite annoying.  I'm not sure if this is what any of you have and would not want to suggest it, but I know how hard it was to finally get diagnosed and perhaps if you mention it to your doctors, it could steer them in a new direction.  

***@****
A related discussion, Swollen eyelids was started.
A related discussion, Swollen Eye and Cheek (right side only) was started.