Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Temporary darker vision in one eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Temporary darker vision in one eye

Twice in the past 4 months, I have gotten up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and noticed that in the low light of a nightlight, one eye is seeing the space "darker" than the other. It's not blindness in one eye--I can see the forms, but it's much darker.  In a matter of minutes, it's back to normal.  Should I be concerned?
yes it should
it depend on many factors
ur age,ur general health and so on
but my advice it to see a doctor if persist
Have you figured out what is going on yet?
It sounds like a form of night blindness. When you say darker do you mean there's a blackness or that it is just fainter. How do you detect this. Do you close one eye?  I have a similar problem but the optometrist says it is a refractive error and one eye does not see distance as well but I am still going to see an opthamologist to be sure.  If you look up night blindness on the net you may find similar symptoms but wise to check it out.
My guess is that you were sleeping in such a way that the pillow or some other part of the bed was exerting enough pressure on the affected eye to reduce circulation to the retina. This could reduce the ability of the retina to respond to light sufficiently to make vision in the eye temporarily "darker."
i am experiencing the same thing and am quite worried. please let me know if you find out anything (***@****). i'll be booking an appointment shortly in any event but any info on this (despite an exhaustive google search i can't find much).
This happened to me two days ago. It started the day after a flu shot, and I've also been having sinus problems. I went to the ER, then to an opthomologist. The doctor couldn't find anything and ruled out everything from his perspective but had no idea what could cause the problem. He told me to come back if it wasn't gone in one month. Then, after 24 hours, it was gone. I had taken a Claritin a few hours earlier. I'm relieve to know what it isn't, but I'd sure like to know what it is.
I've been able to more specifically pinpoint what my situation is. There is a shadowy shape in the upper visual field of my left eye that I see peripherally when I look down