Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Two Types of Ocular Flashes
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Two Types of Ocular Flashes

Dear Dr. Prince,

I am a sixty-three-year-old Caucasian man.

Since roughly 14 October last, I have been seeing blue flashes, each of which lasts from one-quarter to one-half second.  Some are relatively bright, and have a dark blue color;  others have a dimmer baby-blue.  All occur singly in one eye or the other.  Fatigue increases their frequency.

I have been seeing floaters for a very long time.  All were transparent until very recently.  About a month ago, in my right eye, I began seeing an occasional very small and opaque black floater.  It moves through its visual field rapidly, without any discernible pattern.

My ophthalmologist examined my eyes on Friday, the 17th of November.  Except for a microscopic haemhorrage in my right eye, he pronounced their condition as "fine." He saw no tears and no edema.  He did recommend a blood test to determine whether I am diabetic.

Two days later, while going to sleep on Sunday the 19th at 3:35 A.M., I saw a different kind of flash in my right eye.  Located at that visual field's right periphery, it was a thin, vertical, and slightly jagged splinter of brilliant white.  It lasted perhaps five seconds.  There were two repetitions of similar duration and shape.  This entire episode occurred within a minute or less.

Since then, I have seen no more white peripheral flashes.

Blue flashes have continued in small numbers.  Transparent floaters and the right eye's occasional black floater ditto.

I should learn my blood test's result soon.

What do the white flashes mean?  What should I do?

Thanks.

Gordon F. Corbett
Tags: irritable