Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Upper Eyelid Swelling
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Upper Eyelid Swelling

For over a year now I have been experiencing eyelid swelling.  I am 34 yr old female, being watched for auto-immune disorder because of a positive ANA, and family history of autoimmune disorders.   My left upper eyelid swells at night occasionally.  As the day goes on it gets better, but still is swollen.  However, now it is always a little swollen.  Yesterday I woke up and again it was swollen so much I could barely see out of my eye.  Today it was better, but when I woke up it was still swollen.  I haven't tried any new foods, make up, detergents, or anything and do not have any allergies. I am not sure if this is related to any autoimmune problem that could be going on or not.  I have never seen the doctor for this, because it always gets better.  It almost seems to go in cycles.  I'll have it reoccur several times, then it stops for awhile, then it happens again.  It is only the upper eyelid.  Inside the eye is not red at all.  However the eyelid is sometimes red, and warm to the touch.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thank you-